1995 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
1995 strong after 20 years
By myedmunds6 on 01/16/14 09:47 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I had my 95 maxima for 4 years. Bought from a dealer at incrredible 65K miles in prestine condition. This is my 5th datsun-nissan. Just change oil regularly at 5k. Need to replace consumables. Other than that, no major repair needed. Spends aboout $300 for repair/maint. On my previous 94 maxima, I drove about 300K+ odometer stopped at 230K. I drove 4 more years until the tranny gave up. Gas mileage is about 20 mpg on city+highway mix.

1995 Nissan Maxima
By john33rr on 01/23/13 10:48 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1998 and it has 46,000 miles on it. We drove it until April 2012 when it had 265,000 miles on it. Very little maintenance on this car. It would get 34 MPG on the Interstate and around 26 MPG local. We sold it to a friend and it is still running. Best car we have ever owned. Way to go Nissan. I would have bought another Maxima but they started putting 3.5 liter engines in them. Bad for gas.

Dependable, but...
By badgerone5 on 08/13/12 15:45 PM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

can't understand how the frame could deteriorate so badly that it is virtually undrivable now. For a car that is 17 years old, I expected more--even if we are in the north. Have had the vehicle for about 2.5 years, and it has been dependable for our daughter, driving to and from college (some 400 miles away), generally requiring just regular maintenance overall. But, the car is virtually junk now because of the frame--with only 126,500 miles on it. Very disappointed. Other issues: a check engine light comes on often (oxygen sensor?), and it has a lot of rust. But the frame is the main issue. If purchasing vehicle used, have a pre-purchase check--especially the frame.

Awesome old Maxima
By Calmadre on 02/13/10 10:22 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought as a lease return. This car currently (2/2010) has 250k miles. Minimum maintenance.I'm religious about 3k oil changes. I LOVE this car. It is going on 16 yrs. and I have no worry's about long distance trips. Nissan is the BEST. I figured I spend about $600. yr in repairs. Can anybody beat that?

Best Car We've Owned
By 3rdNissan on 07/14/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Great interstate cruising car. After 199,000 miles, I'm still getting 24 mpg in mixed driving to and from work, and 29+ mpg on trips. Handling is predictable but not sporty. When I bought four new Michelins at 165,000 miles, the ride became so smooth I decided to keep the car until at least 200,000 miles. This car is worth buying good tires.

I Love my first car!!!
By J MAN on 02/01/07 12:18 PM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Got this '95 maxima with 150k miles on it for $2500!! What a steal! Mechanic says that it has strong engine and tranny. Needed brakes but that's to be expected. I love the design and how the car looks. it's my first car and it is perfect and at a good price range. no problems only routine maintenance and tlc to keep it looking sharp. This car can take 300k+ miles or more! this car is incredible

Warts and Gems
By Wayne on 01/02/07 14:47 PM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Maxi has been a good car but I have also had the rough engine engine problem (its the fuel injectors clogging up, folks - use Techron every 3 - 6 months from the day you buy the car or you'll be replacing them). The fuel filter isn't as efficient as it could be. I've replaced the CV's, rear struts, the clutch, 2 injectors (so far - at least one more is going bad), but it doesn't use a drop of oil and it always starts. How much can you really complain about a $1,500 car?

Happy Nissan Owner!!
By GLE Sedan on 01/01/07 20:43 PM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I've been very happy with my Maxima purchase. I've only owned the car 4 months, but only routine maintenance is required. (Car has 142,000 miles) No major problems, except bad water pump seal. Minor oil leak, which is the oil pressure switch, diagnosed by my mechanic The 3.0 engine I LOVE, along with the super-quiet, comfortable ride. I thought about trading it in for a '95 Camry (with car payments-no thanks)!! Then I decided not to because my Max is so beautiful in/out, along with the Nissan reliability! Drives too damn good to even THINK about giving him up. Change all fluids regularly and it'll last forever. No car payments! Nissan Maxima is the way to go for reliability!!!!

One of the bad ones!!!
By kasey2586 on 12/12/06 22:09 PM (PST)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This car supposedly has tons of wonderful reputations. I got stuck with major expensive internal motor work needed. It does have a lot of power and has never left me stranded. These cars can blow the Hondas off the road with the power it has!! It has an engine miss, and the unusual thing about this problem is, it comes and goes! It's had a rough idle, stumbling and bucking. But these symptoms last occurred about 1 month ago and has been a smooth, beautiful ride ever since!! One mechanic told me since it was running on five cylinders, it's got bad valves. It also hisses and I know that's in need of an EGR valve. Yes, the check engine light and needs an anti-knock sensor! Not cheap!

junk '95 Maxima
By kris36 on 10/21/06 15:28 PM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After only 2 months owning this car, I've never been so disappointed. With only 139,000 miles (not even broken in for a Maxima- or so I thought) and already internal motor work needed??!!!!! You've GOT to be kidding, Nissan!! It's running on 5 cylinders and a very uncomfortable ride. Has bad valves! Still does have power left, but at idle, it's rough. Stumbling and bucking upon slow acceleration and slow braking. I'm VERY leery about purchasing another. ANY year. I'm told the engines are smooth as silk from '95- 2001. With a used one, $3000. New/rebuilt-$5000. This problem is unacceptable! Now I'm starting to doubt the build quality of Nissans. Get with the program, Nissan!