1993 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Can a 13 year old car still compete?
By Nissan lover on 10/11/07 20:17 PM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Back in the early 90s, there was no Acura Brand, no Lexus and no Infiniti. You wanted luxury, you either bought a Maxima, or you bought a Cadillac. Show me any American made car on the road that can run as well as 13 year old Maxima? Very high design for basically a 1989 design: independant rear suspension, overhead CAM engines, coil on wire ignition (SE model), variable valve timing (SE) model, and very handsome. These design elements from a 1989 design are still new elements! Compare this to cars from early 90s and show me cars from that generation that had all these elements? Very few can say that. This was what we prize in 2007, never mind in 1989-1994!! Very ahead of its time.

I love this car
By richie on 03/11/07 22:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Great car. have 107,000 mi and no major problems. Just changed the front struts and all belts. Standard stuff

Eveready Bunny of -a-car!
By bobsled on 11/15/06 19:59 PM (PST)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 182K on it. Just clicked on 355,555. Runs like the day I got it, 24-33mpg on regular gas. This is the SOHC engine(about 160 HP)but can still run with 75 MPH traffic on the interstates.Nissan got it right with this V6,just keeps going & going & going.A broken timing belt might be the only thing that can stop this engine's running. But the auto transmission is its "weak" spot. Had the dealership flush the tranny and it "broke" in less than 1K mi. Rebuilt..broke, 2nd rebill..broke,3rd rebill(still going@going).DO NOT FLUSH these high mileage cars (just drain and refill) Add a transmission cooler.Sure you will have the parts that can't last forever (waterpump, alternator, fuelpump) but it keeps going @

One Owner Car
By earl7pearl on 06/01/06 15:52 PM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

The 114,000 miles are all mine except for 1,200 the dealer put on it. It has been garaged nightly and has been serviced every 4,000 to 4,500 miles. The 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000 services were all performed on schedule. Every year in the Fall - after washing, a paint protection by Nissan has been applied and the surface remains like new. We were retired adults when we bought the car - the interior is undamaged in any way.

Over 194K Miles and Still Going
By Omar on 02/18/06 23:28 PM (PST)

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car out of college. I bought used with 30K miles and 11 years later now have 194K. Why am I writing a review now? Because I've finally started to look for another car and as I've been reading over reviews on Edmunds - am amazed at the problems reported on the new vehicles out there (Acura TL, Infiniti G35/I35, and New Maximas).

as expected
By big red on 10/24/05 16:50 PM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

nissan never fails to give what is expected. Same things work as well as they always have, same problems too. this is the third 90's nissan i have owned "92 sentra, 92 pathfinder, and this 93 maxima". In my opinion the 3.0 liter is the best v-6 ever built. The only have had two problems we have had was the fuel line connection to the injectors came loose, simple mechanics fix. the other which happened to the pathfinder to was the window motor cable broke. the fit and finish of all panels in and out is exellent! would recomend this for a good dailey driver or school car

'93 workhorse
By TP on 06/17/05 00:13 AM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought car in 95 with 50,000k on it, had to change CV boots and exhaust at 100,000K. Power Lock is not working on passenger side and window fell in door once. Other than that it has been an exceptional car and we have no intention of selling it any time soon, even though it is 13 years old, it is still a great car.

1993 Maxima (+) and (-)
By Matthew Buyer on 04/23/05 21:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Good engine performance(acceleration), handles (steers) very well, great on highway trips. Have owned car for 5 years. Had to replace(rebuild) transmission at 132,000 miles.

One of Nissan's better designs
By Ed Smith on 04/15/05 02:32 AM (PDT)

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

The 1993 Nissan Maxima is the 3rd Generation of Nissan/Datsun Maxima/810 series. This generation began sale in September, 1988 and continued through August 1994 with very minor body and engineering changes during its six years of production. (Due to the extreme text size limitations here ( < 64MB), my review will be brief.) The car seats four comfortably, seats five tolerably. Has an excellent ride for a car of it's size, six cylinder engine (two types), excellent power and good fuel economy. Well built to survive around 200,000 miles and about 15 to 20 years of use. Good trunk, great engine, very reliable. Arguably a better car than previous or future generations of the Maxima.

1993 Nissan Maxima SE
By Matthew Davis on 12/08/04 16:45 PM (PST)

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Red 1993 Nissan Maxima SE for over five years and have never had a problem with it. There couldn't be a better car for a college student out there. It is very reliable, has a great interior, and the best engine out there. I'm going to drive Maximas for the rest of my life.