Used 1993 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1993 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Maxima Advice
By GDAWG

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

For having 173,000 miles, I have to say it's been quite a dependable car. I had to have some axle work done on it when I first got it, the previous owner wasn't big on maintenance. I've had it about 5 1/2 yrs now, with no complaints. Don't drive through storm flood waters though, the transmission dip stick is low on the car, and will allow water to get into transmission, this is a problem I'm fighting now.

Suggested Improvements

Make the bucket seats a little wider, feels like your pinned into the seat quite snugly. The headroom is a little low for me, with the sunroof option.

Best 4-Door Sedan in 1993
By Howardpete

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

For a combination of function, form, performance, fuel efficiency, and value there was not a better sedan than the 3rd generation Nissan Maxima. This car is much more fun to drive than my '03 Maxima, and better on gas too I might add. Has never left me stranded, very easy and accessible to work on. The VE30DE engine was prone to VTC failure which is common on '92 - '94 DOHC motors. Was more a noise problem than anything else. But once repaired never gave me any other problems. At a 216K miles it is time to let her go as I need a Mini Van. I wish Nissan was still making this model, I would trade my 5th gen Maxima for it in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Stick shift, engine growl on acceleration, handling. Body style and lines of the car. V6 that get HWY MPG of 28 still at 200K+

Suggested Improvements

Quieter power locks, manufacture recall on VE30DE VTC sprockets. Better factory stereos.

The Best Nissan Ever!
By NISSAN PEOPLE:)

1993 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Wow, this car blew me away, we got it in 2003 with 100,000 miles on it, and still runs perfect, the air and every thing works! Very sharp car, very fast! Do the maintenance and will run till 300,000 miles guaranteed. Got it for $1,500 in 03 and got into two wrecks. This car is bullet proof. There was more damage on the truck that hit us than there was on this. Very reliable, just the usual things, oil changes etc. The exhaust just rusted off for being so old. My first car by the way, very safe, and powerful. I would say get this vehicle if you can. Very sharp, love the Bose also. Okay on gas but not the best but good for the size of the motor

Favorite Features

The Bose, spoiler, moon roof, power windows and locks, very very fast, the size, very safe, and reliable!

Suggested Improvements

None! The best car ever!

Fantastic car, I will miss it!
By fkktrow

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 1997 with 24K miles on it. Had it for 12 years! Drove it to 275K until the tranny finally went out. Best car I have ever owned. Would recommend a Maxima to anyone. I am currently looking for a newer model that hopefully I will get another 10 years out of. No major problems, just regular maintenance. Fun to drive, looked great, still had umph at 15 years old! Performed better than I do! However, the rust issue was a lot to deal with. Luckily, Nissan fixed this issue in 1997 with new runners. We are sad to see it go to the junk yard, we will miss it!

Favorite Features

CD player, moon roof, look, fast, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Runners rust very easily

Miss it dearly
By rizuwadokudeska9

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car far supassed my expectations when I bought it. It came with 85,000 miles on and and ran like new, and over 19 months I put 30,000 miles on it. Fun to drive, very smooth ride even at 90+ mph. Using premium gas the car reached 32 mpg with 3 people and luggage inside. It drives me crazy that I totaled it. Currently looking for another Maxima

Favorite Features

Power, smooth ride, fuel efficiency. The car was 15 years old and drove better than more recent American sedans.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, many consider premium gas a disadvantage but where I live its only 20 cents more per gallon than regular, which makes a difference of $3.20 per tank of gas. Is that really a big deal considering the maxima will get you 400 miles on a tank of gas?