Used 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1993 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

My Old Girl Just Keeps on Going
By pineapple876

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my '93 Maxima from an 84 YO woman. It was 4 years old and only had 17K miles on it. It was the deal of the century. It now has 116,888 and it's just getting broken in. The only major repair I've had was two front axels because the material the boots were made of finally gave out. That was $700. Sure I've had to put a muffler on it -- once. It was 15 years old and the service guys couldn't believe it had the original exhaust system still. I look at new cars from time to time but then I hear all the horror stories from my friends and family about the new cars they've bought. My Old Girl may have a few hail dents, but she out runs most of the new cars hands down.

Favorite Features

It's a small thing - but I love the way you can have cool air on your face while still having heat on the floor. I was so sorry to not see that feature on the '97 Quest we also had.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. Really, that is the only complaint I have.

Long, Loving Relationship
By atchleyk

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I didn't like this car at first. I wanted something that looked sporty, something new and shiny. Boy was I stupid. This v6 picks up from 0-60 in no time. This car is 20 years old, 170k when I got it, ran amazingly. 180k now, still runs amazingly. Ice cold AC, good heat. The radio went out before I bought it, but those can be replaced. VERY reliable car. I feel like it might last forever if taken car of, which it deserves. It has a slight gas smell at times, however, though I've been told older cars tend to do this. A few nit picky things about the interior. NO CUPHOLDERS. Then again, who needs cupholders when your car picks up fast enough to spill molasses.

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof, love the little turbo button underneath the radio. This little demon allows you to drive up even the steepest inclines as if your on flat ground.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders. No leather seats. The car itself outlives leather by a long shot.

♥I just love my car♥
By lilangelsbuddy

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 103k owned by an Older Woman, so it was taken good car of. So far i have only had to replace minor things and now there is something im saving up to replace 300 to replace some noise of it pooping when it accelerates. this car fits my 3 kids, car seat and 2 booster seats its a tight fit but can be done! I use this car delivering pizza my mileage now is like108k but the car is a champ! Nothing else to really say i think.... but its a good investment

Favorite Features

Automatic seat belts (in the front) key less entry, cruise control, OMG~ the air conditioner will freeze you at 1 it gets sooo cold!

Suggested Improvements

Well as i read in others Cup Holders the one ine their you either have an ashtray or u have a cup holder then that either leaves you with soda all over your lap or a cop pulling you over for throwing ur cup out the window or you can try to chug ur drink leaving a little bit left to use as ashtray

Fantastic car, I will miss it!
By fkktrow

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 1997 with 24K miles on it. Had it for 12 years! Drove it to 275K until the tranny finally went out. Best car I have ever owned. Would recommend a Maxima to anyone. I am currently looking for a newer model that hopefully I will get another 10 years out of. No major problems, just regular maintenance. Fun to drive, looked great, still had umph at 15 years old! Performed better than I do! However, the rust issue was a lot to deal with. Luckily, Nissan fixed this issue in 1997 with new runners. We are sad to see it go to the junk yard, we will miss it!

Favorite Features

CD player, moon roof, look, fast, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Runners rust very easily

Miss it dearly
By rizuwadokudeska9

1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car far supassed my expectations when I bought it. It came with 85,000 miles on and and ran like new, and over 19 months I put 30,000 miles on it. Fun to drive, very smooth ride even at 90+ mph. Using premium gas the car reached 32 mpg with 3 people and luggage inside. It drives me crazy that I totaled it. Currently looking for another Maxima

Favorite Features

Power, smooth ride, fuel efficiency. The car was 15 years old and drove better than more recent American sedans.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, many consider premium gas a disadvantage but where I live its only 20 cents more per gallon than regular, which makes a difference of $3.20 per tank of gas. Is that really a big deal considering the maxima will get you 400 miles on a tank of gas?