1992 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1992 Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Sort Reviews by

Trusty Maxima SE
By Maxima Ownwer

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely fabulous. I expect it to go for another 100,000 miles. At 128,000 miles it still has a lot of power and will give most of the newer cars a run for their money. The only thing I do not like is the seat belt system. This is now history on newer Nissanís. I will probably buy another one if I can ever part with my current SE.

Favorite Features

The Engine and power.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the windshield washer resevoir.

SolidPerformer
By ecintron

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got lucky and found this gem in a lot with little mileage on it. I am very strict with maintenance but have to say that I think this car would run well under any condition. I cannot say enough about how smoothe this car is and how relable it has proven itself. It now has 180K miles on it and I wouldn't think twice about driving it across the country.

Favorite Features

Good power delivered by the engine and the car still looks good after 10 years of hard labor.

Suggested Improvements

You need a good mechanic who understand this car. Lots of things seem major but might just be a sensor. Mechanics seem to be confused by this and will make costly repairs needlessly.

Best Car I have owned.
By fredab62

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Since 1992 I have never had a problem other than the daytime running lights {Canada Only} But aside from this all is fantastic. 10 years after the car looks awesome with 2 coats of wax per year!

Favorite Features

The White Gauges

Suggested Improvements

No folding rear seats and coffee cup holder is poor.

92 Nissan SE
By flyhalf

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned by Maxima SE for almost 10 years. It is a fun, performance-oriented car, and extremely reliable. It has a large trunk and comfortable back seat for adults too. The Bose stereo is one of the best sounding stock systems I have heard.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are: * White dash dials * Bose stereo * Performance

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders.

A great car for anyone!
By Blackie's Owner

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

From the get go he got named Blackie. It has been a great car. We have 220K miles that have been for the most part repair and maintenance free! Only thing that was an out of the ordinary repair was for the manifold cover because of warping. We have replaced the CV axels but that was not until 200K. It gets regular oil changes but other than that has not had any regular maintenance. If it was worn out it got replaced and that's about it! The window regulators are the biggest downfall on this car we have had problems with all of them except the drivers. In all tho we have enjoyed this car!

Favorite Features

5 spd manual trans makes it very fun to drive! Lot's of leg room but the rear seats have to much backwards slope to get really comfortable. (for adults)

Suggested Improvements

Window regulators, brakes(seem to wear prematurely)

Awesome Car....
By JOHN5271

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my '92 SE in 1998 with only 35,000 miles. I have had it for four years now and it only has 71,100 miles on it now. I LOVE this car. It hauls major ass for a sedan (I have the SE-V6 w/ the DOHC 190+ hp)and handles like a sports car. The only major repair was I had to have the ECU (emissions control unit) replaced @ 45,000 miles and Nissan paid for it! Other than that I have had no other problems. Most of my driving is on the highway and this vehicle is a dream @ 85 mph.

Favorite Features

Leather, simple controls, POWER!, awesome BOSE audio system for a 10 year old car

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy, fog lights look goofy, boring alloy wheel design.

Fun, comfortable, reliable, fairly nice
By MessiahXI

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I really have nothing to complain about with this car. I inherited this car when I was 16. And I drove it HARD. I was totally wreckless at times. Suffice to say, this car has not been babied. Yet, I'm 23 now and the car has 160K miles and she's still going strong. It has needed a fair share of semi-routine work, but nothing too serious. The brakes dust incessantly (though they have saved my ass many times), and it goes through AC belts like crazy, but hey, she's been very very good to me. I very nearly went out and purchased a brand new Acura, but ultimately realized that the old faithful Maxima probably has more life left in it and it's paid for!

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Leather. Moonroof. Tons of legroom. Great breaks. Incredible reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Considering that newer Maximas are leaps and bounds better than the 3rd Generation's, I'll refrain from comment.

Nissan Super Maxima
By mEmE

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My experince has been very postive overall. I would recommend this veicle to anyone who wants slightly above average transportation.

Favorite Features

acceleration

Suggested Improvements

na

I loved it so much I named it
By jlinard

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Darlene. That's her name. I haven't had any "real" problems with the car, other than a VTC overhaul AND replacement. NOTE to consumer, REPLACE the VTC, do not overhaul it! I do quite a bit of routine maintenance, including taking her in for any cling or clack--and it's paying off because she runs like a dream. The suspension and shocks could probably be better at 130K, as she is a bit of a rough ride, and like some of the other feedback, the stereo went at 90K. I want to get 250K out of her, so if anyone is around that mark, I'd love to hear your story

Favorite Features

Timeless Body Style, Leg Room, Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure, I was only in high school in 92!

Nissan Did it Right
By ToxDoc

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I just said farewell to my 1992 Maxima SE with 320,000 miles. It is still a bueatiful car on the outside, but a little under-powered these days. Except as noted in "improvements", I never had to give my SE anything but oil, brakes, cv boots, gas and a new stereo (came with a cheap Clarion disguised with a Bose name plate). Otherwise, an awesome car with awesome engineering. Nice job Nissan!

Favorite Features

The SE came with a timing chain instead of a belt--yea! Why does anyone still manufacture a car with a timing belt?

Suggested Improvements

The worst thing that ever happened to my SE was having the CV axles pop out of the engine spline and trash the axel splines--a $1200 suprise and a dead car along way from home. There has to be a better way to keep CV axels attached to the transmission than with snap rings.