Used 1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great car
By Doogiehowser

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was/is my first car since I've turned 16. I'm now 22 and have this beast up at school. I got it with roughly 190,000 miles on it, currently at 240k. The engine is still running like a champ, but the body is another story. With harsh winters and no garage, its starting to show its age with rust and some minor leaks. The leaks and rust i can easily deal with, its getting me to where i want to go thats important. My trans. is the 5 speed manual and its a blast to drive. The original clutch lasted 200k miles, which is amazing. Body will fall apart before engine fails. great, reliable, safe car for any new drivers.

Favorite Features

Being manual. Fast. Reliable and gets good gas mileage for a v6. Flooring the gas pedal and listening to the engine rev up to red line then shifting to the next gear, sounds beautiful. Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cup holders. Engine lifters click constantly, but I've taken it to the shop many times for it to be looked at and it seems the "norm" for the Nissan 3.0v6.

LemonTransmission
By SSS

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I must have gotten the lemon version after reading all the great reviews. I bought the car with about 107k miles. after the 1st yr, the trans went out. Spent 2K expecting this to be the last major problem. Took it back to trans shop 4 times. After an 8 month good run, trans went again. Now trans is out of warranty. I have also replaced all fuel injectors. Thank God I learned how to replace the injectors myself. They kept going 1 after another. After the injectors were all replaced, what an improvement in the performance! but just when I thought I was on my way to a good experience, the Trans failed again! Hopefully, you will have a better experience than I did. In 50K miles, spent around $4K

Favorite Features

Solid feeling and good performing car. That's why I hung on so long.

Suggested Improvements

A good after market auto trans would be an improvement!

The Ultimate Sleeper
By ioneq

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at a steal in 2003 with 74,000 on it, have driven it HARD nearly 35,000 every year since and not had any problems. I do my own maintenance and because of its small oil capacity, it is vital to change the oil every 2,500 miles for performance and reliablility. Some of the minor things go eventually, like the waterpump, and also the solenoids for this year are surprisingly ahead of their time.

Favorite Features

all of it

Suggested Improvements

none of it

Funny car....
By art

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 221k miles on it... today it has 235k and it's still going very strong. I changed out the radiator, battery and windshield wiper motor... I got the car for $450 bucks off my buddy who had the car since it was new and he said the auto tranny has NEVER been worked on. This car refuses to die... starts up in dead winter.. it makes my friends laugh at how durable this thing is... they call it "the beast." The auto tranny started slipping recently but I added some tranny treatment and its working like new... crazy car, they dont build them like this anymore.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

If you're looking for a point A to point B car without bells and whistles then there are no improvements needed.

It's about that time
By GXE Owner

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I needed a reliable car and I got one. Once the car hits 2000 rpm this car can take off. I'm the second owner and the only thing I've replaced was the batt., radiator and starter. But bigger, more expensive problems are starting to occur like the exaust system, motor mounts,and tranny. Beyond my budget to fix, so I'm just going to run this car down to the ground and get ready to to buy another maxima. Newer of course.

Favorite Features

Engine-It's very reliable.For a 14 year old car.it's still got it!The body,I'm not a fan of square cars but I've seen these cars with body kits on them and what a difference it makes.

Suggested Improvements

It's a plain boring car to cruise in.The tan interior doesn't do it for me and the seating is too low.But of course nissan has improved all this already.I love maxima's but I will never get a GXE again because of the comfort reason.