Used 1992 Nissan Maxima SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

great first car
By rpthorp

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got my SE from my uncle when I was 16. It had 210,000 when I got and the next 2,000 were the hardest miles possible. I took my Maxima to the limit everywhere, and she took it in stride. I had to replace the struts, but that was it. I had an automatic, and that was her only downside. The standard manual would have been much more fun. In fact, I sold mine two years ago, and now I'm looking for another, except this time with manual. I would highly recommend this to any driver, young and old.

Favorite Features

It was the four-door sports car. Plenty of get-up, with all the practicality. Not a cop magnet, and great when they're not looking.

Suggested Improvements

More low-end torque (in automatic). Better, more responsive brakes with ABS.

Why don't they make them this good now?
By 92 SE 5-Speed

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Found the car on autotrader with 55k. Flew from Birmingham to Columbia, MD and drove it home. At 55-65 mph got 31+ mpg. Replaced clutch and main bearing at 72k. All window regulators have been replaced. I drive aggressively and this car fits the bill. I have sold high line cars and promise you nothing retains the fun, style and reliability of a 3rd gen. 92- 94 Maxima SE 5-speed. The 4DSC now has 97k on it and still runs strong. It's a smooth, sporty, and stylish sedan. Should you be lucky enough to find a 92-94 SE 5-speed in good shape with relatively low miles grab it quickly. You'll be thanking yourself the first time you shift 3rd to 4th at 100 mph. GREAT CAR .

Favorite Features

Independent rear suspension Tight steering Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Newer models have been improved with ABS and SRS.

92 Maxima SE (5 Speed)
By Kiddough

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

great car to be a 92, there's a hand full of mods that can make your Maxima even faster (Place Racing, Warpspeed Performance & Stillen)the Bose stereo is great (200 watts) a lot of people think my car is a lot newer than a 92!

Favorite Features

Bose,White Speedometer, 5 Speed, V6, 3.0 liters

Suggested Improvements

Window Regulators & Cup Holders

Great car
By Doogiehowser

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was/is my first car since I've turned 16. I'm now 22 and have this beast up at school. I got it with roughly 190,000 miles on it, currently at 240k. The engine is still running like a champ, but the body is another story. With harsh winters and no garage, its starting to show its age with rust and some minor leaks. The leaks and rust i can easily deal with, its getting me to where i want to go thats important. My trans. is the 5 speed manual and its a blast to drive. The original clutch lasted 200k miles, which is amazing. Body will fall apart before engine fails. great, reliable, safe car for any new drivers.

Favorite Features

Being manual. Fast. Reliable and gets good gas mileage for a v6. Flooring the gas pedal and listening to the engine rev up to red line then shifting to the next gear, sounds beautiful. Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cup holders. Engine lifters click constantly, but I've taken it to the shop many times for it to be looked at and it seems the "norm" for the Nissan 3.0v6.

LemonTransmission
By SSS

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I must have gotten the lemon version after reading all the great reviews. I bought the car with about 107k miles. after the 1st yr, the trans went out. Spent 2K expecting this to be the last major problem. Took it back to trans shop 4 times. After an 8 month good run, trans went again. Now trans is out of warranty. I have also replaced all fuel injectors. Thank God I learned how to replace the injectors myself. They kept going 1 after another. After the injectors were all replaced, what an improvement in the performance! but just when I thought I was on my way to a good experience, the Trans failed again! Hopefully, you will have a better experience than I did. In 50K miles, spent around $4K

Favorite Features

Solid feeling and good performing car. That's why I hung on so long.

Suggested Improvements

A good after market auto trans would be an improvement!