1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
great first car
By rpthorp on 12/08/10 00:21 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got my SE from my uncle when I was 16. It had 210,000 when I got and the next 2,000 were the hardest miles possible. I took my Maxima to the limit everywhere, and she took it in stride. I had to replace the struts, but that was it. I had an automatic, and that was her only downside. The standard manual would have been much more fun. In fact, I sold mine two years ago, and now I'm looking for another, except this time with manual. I would highly recommend this to any driver, young and old.

Why don't they make them this good now?
By 92 SE 5-Speed on 06/04/10 11:57 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Found the car on autotrader with 55k. Flew from Birmingham to Columbia, MD and drove it home. At 55-65 mph got 31+ mpg. Replaced clutch and main bearing at 72k. All window regulators have been replaced. I drive aggressively and this car fits the bill. I have sold high line cars and promise you nothing retains the fun, style and reliability of a 3rd gen. 92- 94 Maxima SE 5-speed. The 4DSC now has 97k on it and still runs strong. It's a smooth, sporty, and stylish sedan. Should you be lucky enough to find a 92-94 SE 5-speed in good shape with relatively low miles grab it quickly. You'll be thanking yourself the first time you shift 3rd to 4th at 100 mph. GREAT CAR .

92 Maxima SE (5 Speed)
By Kiddough on 12/29/09 20:18 PM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

great car to be a 92, there's a hand full of mods that can make your Maxima even faster (Place Racing, Warpspeed Performance & Stillen)the Bose stereo is great (200 watts) a lot of people think my car is a lot newer than a 92!

Fuel Injectors and Transmission
By V8 Power on 05/18/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with our family since new. However this car has had no problems with power, there is always reserve avail. Only problems were Fuel Inj.(Replace all 6 at once and 2 were bad), Transmission died at 134K mi(Replaced with a rebuilt one), all 4 power window reg. went bad, the tape player(Replaced with aftermarket)bit the dust, alternator, hood struts, the hot/cold temperature adjuster(Replace the entire unit from Dealer Part), Power Locks only work when it wants to, Power Antenna, Rear Trunk Key latch, the AC blows cold and never serviced. Curr. at 183K

Many good memories
By No_Sweat on 12/30/08 16:12 PM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. Was a little beat up when I got her, but what a fine first car! She wasn't an SE, just a plain ol GXE but still pretty fast. The car weighs somewhere near 2900 lbs and the GXE engine puts out 160 hp, 180 ft lbs of torque which is more than enough to move it at a brisk pace. Great sounding engine too. Only felt uncomfortable on 1 really long 5 hour drive that I took, and aside from that I fit great and I'm 6' 1". I must have picked up a lemon though because I seem to be the only person who had so many issues with reliability.

Great car
By Doogiehowser on 10/19/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was/is my first car since I've turned 16. I'm now 22 and have this beast up at school. I got it with roughly 190,000 miles on it, currently at 240k. The engine is still running like a champ, but the body is another story. With harsh winters and no garage, its starting to show its age with rust and some minor leaks. The leaks and rust i can easily deal with, its getting me to where i want to go thats important. My trans. is the 5 speed manual and its a blast to drive. The original clutch lasted 200k miles, which is amazing. Body will fall apart before engine fails. great, reliable, safe car for any new drivers.

LemonTransmission
By SSS on 02/26/07 14:01 PM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I must have gotten the lemon version after reading all the great reviews. I bought the car with about 107k miles. after the 1st yr, the trans went out. Spent 2K expecting this to be the last major problem. Took it back to trans shop 4 times. After an 8 month good run, trans went again. Now trans is out of warranty. I have also replaced all fuel injectors. Thank God I learned how to replace the injectors myself. They kept going 1 after another. After the injectors were all replaced, what an improvement in the performance! but just when I thought I was on my way to a good experience, the Trans failed again! Hopefully, you will have a better experience than I did. In 50K miles, spent around $4K

The Ultimate Sleeper
By ioneq on 05/30/06 08:25 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at a steal in 2003 with 74,000 on it, have driven it HARD nearly 35,000 every year since and not had any problems. I do my own maintenance and because of its small oil capacity, it is vital to change the oil every 2,500 miles for performance and reliablility. Some of the minor things go eventually, like the waterpump, and also the solenoids for this year are surprisingly ahead of their time.

Funny car....
By art on 02/26/06 10:31 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 221k miles on it... today it has 235k and it's still going very strong. I changed out the radiator, battery and windshield wiper motor... I got the car for $450 bucks off my buddy who had the car since it was new and he said the auto tranny has NEVER been worked on. This car refuses to die... starts up in dead winter.. it makes my friends laugh at how durable this thing is... they call it "the beast." The auto tranny started slipping recently but I added some tranny treatment and its working like new... crazy car, they dont build them like this anymore.

It's about that time
By GXE Owner on 12/29/05 00:35 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I needed a reliable car and I got one. Once the car hits 2000 rpm this car can take off. I'm the second owner and the only thing I've replaced was the batt., radiator and starter. But bigger, more expensive problems are starting to occur like the exaust system, motor mounts,and tranny. Beyond my budget to fix, so I'm just going to run this car down to the ground and get ready to to buy another maxima. Newer of course.

1 2 3 4 5 next »