1992 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Fuel Injectors and Transmission
By V8 Power on 05/18/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with our family since new. However this car has had no problems with power, there is always reserve avail. Only problems were Fuel Inj.(Replace all 6 at once and 2 were bad), Transmission died at 134K mi(Replaced with a rebuilt one), all 4 power window reg. went bad, the tape player(Replaced with aftermarket)bit the dust, alternator, hood struts, the hot/cold temperature adjuster(Replace the entire unit from Dealer Part), Power Locks only work when it wants to, Power Antenna, Rear Trunk Key latch, the AC blows cold and never serviced. Curr. at 183K

Many good memories
By No_Sweat on 12/30/08 16:12 PM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. Was a little beat up when I got her, but what a fine first car! She wasn't an SE, just a plain ol GXE but still pretty fast. The car weighs somewhere near 2900 lbs and the GXE engine puts out 160 hp, 180 ft lbs of torque which is more than enough to move it at a brisk pace. Great sounding engine too. Only felt uncomfortable on 1 really long 5 hour drive that I took, and aside from that I fit great and I'm 6' 1". I must have picked up a lemon though because I seem to be the only person who had so many issues with reliability.

Funny car....
By art on 02/26/06 10:31 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 221k miles on it... today it has 235k and it's still going very strong. I changed out the radiator, battery and windshield wiper motor... I got the car for $450 bucks off my buddy who had the car since it was new and he said the auto tranny has NEVER been worked on. This car refuses to die... starts up in dead winter.. it makes my friends laugh at how durable this thing is... they call it "the beast." The auto tranny started slipping recently but I added some tranny treatment and its working like new... crazy car, they dont build them like this anymore.

It's about that time
By GXE Owner on 12/29/05 00:35 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I needed a reliable car and I got one. Once the car hits 2000 rpm this car can take off. I'm the second owner and the only thing I've replaced was the batt., radiator and starter. But bigger, more expensive problems are starting to occur like the exaust system, motor mounts,and tranny. Beyond my budget to fix, so I'm just going to run this car down to the ground and get ready to to buy another maxima. Newer of course.

Is it expensive to keep as a used car?
By dudi on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought it in August 2000. Changed timing belt and water pump and tires right away. Door window stopped working. Changed wires and exhoustion system. Changed 4 injectors. Changed alternator and battery(2times). Changed wiper motor. Cassete stopped working. Going to change CV joint boots, ball joints, strats, actually almost all suspension system. Do not know what is next. Cost of repair in 4 years is about $5250. Right now 160,000miles. 131,000 miles when bought. It rusts a lot. If I have money, I will buy a new car, toyota maybe.

A fun car to own
By DJ Men on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Great car! 220,000 and original engine and transmission. Routine maintenance done every 3000 miles. I'll buy another maxima in a heart beat.

1992 nissan maxima
By Paul Sean. on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 7 years and driven it approx 130k miles to a current 183k. It has been extremely reliable except for an auto transmission that went out at 60k and the dealer covered. After that I changed trans fluid about every 3 oil changes or 9000 miles. Other than normal stuff brakes tires alternator hoses belts and half shafts it's been a great car. The only thing the manufacturer could have done better was to design the power window transmissions/cables ect... better because all have had to be replaced. I would recommend to remove door panels and lube the window trans components from time to time.

92 GXE still running like a champ
By Sleahead on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have had to replace the water pump twice and 3 of the 4 power windows, but that is it. It's been paid for forever and just seems to get smoother each year. I currently have just over 160K miles and think 200k should be no problem. VERY reliable.

Excellent car!!!!
By homeritus84 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I would drive this car across country in a heartbeat. I wouldn't think twice about it. I'm actually going to be driving to California this summer, and I'll be taking my Maxima. I love this car. It's fast, powerful, smoooooth, and very, very reliable. It has 108,000 miles, and if I continue to take care of it, it will last easily another 100,000 miles.

THE PERFECT CAR
By jmarinez on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I LOVE MY MAXIMA. SHE IS A POWERFUL,RELIABLE,COMFORT CAR. SHE IS MY FIRST CAR AND I AM VERY HAPPY TO OWN HER. THE ONLY THING I HAD TO CHANGE WERE TRANSMISSION SUPPORTS, BRAKES.