Used 1992 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

great first car
By rpthorp

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I got my SE from my uncle when I was 16. It had 210,000 when I got and the next 2,000 were the hardest miles possible. I took my Maxima to the limit everywhere, and she took it in stride. I had to replace the struts, but that was it. I had an automatic, and that was her only downside. The standard manual would have been much more fun. In fact, I sold mine two years ago, and now I'm looking for another, except this time with manual. I would highly recommend this to any driver, young and old.

It was the four-door sports car. Plenty of get-up, with all the practicality. Not a cop magnet, and great when they're not looking.

More low-end torque (in automatic). Better, more responsive brakes with ABS.

Why don't they make them this good now?
By 92 SE 5-Speed

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Found the car on autotrader with 55k. Flew from Birmingham to Columbia, MD and drove it home. At 55-65 mph got 31+ mpg. Replaced clutch and main bearing at 72k. All window regulators have been replaced. I drive aggressively and this car fits the bill. I have sold high line cars and promise you nothing retains the fun, style and reliability of a 3rd gen. 92- 94 Maxima SE 5-speed. The 4DSC now has 97k on it and still runs strong. It's a smooth, sporty, and stylish sedan. Should you be lucky enough to find a 92-94 SE 5-speed in good shape with relatively low miles grab it quickly. You'll be thanking yourself the first time you shift 3rd to 4th at 100 mph. GREAT CAR .

Independent rear suspension Tight steering Fun to drive

Newer models have been improved with ABS and SRS.

92 Maxima SE (5 Speed)
By Kiddough

1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

great car to be a 92, there's a hand full of mods that can make your Maxima even faster (Place Racing, Warpspeed Performance & Stillen)the Bose stereo is great (200 watts) a lot of people think my car is a lot newer than a 92!

Bose,White Speedometer, 5 Speed, V6, 3.0 liters

Window Regulators & Cup Holders

Fuel Injectors and Transmission
By V8 Power

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with our family since new. However this car has had no problems with power, there is always reserve avail. Only problems were Fuel Inj.(Replace all 6 at once and 2 were bad), Transmission died at 134K mi(Replaced with a rebuilt one), all 4 power window reg. went bad, the tape player(Replaced with aftermarket)bit the dust, alternator, hood struts, the hot/cold temperature adjuster(Replace the entire unit from Dealer Part), Power Locks only work when it wants to, Power Antenna, Rear Trunk Key latch, the AC blows cold and never serviced. Curr. at 183K

V8 Power, smooth ride, solid well built, ahead of its time. All quality materials used in interior. V6 is well made. Heated Side mirrors. AC blows ice cold with Highly Durable Parts, never serviced in 17 years. Every part was made above average. Considerable Eng. went into making car rattle free.

No improvements needed the car was ahead of it's time. I am still discovering nice little touches in the car that went with the engineering. This car was made right the first time unlike Detroit.

Many good memories
By No_Sweat

1992 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. Was a little beat up when I got her, but what a fine first car! She wasn't an SE, just a plain ol GXE but still pretty fast. The car weighs somewhere near 2900 lbs and the GXE engine puts out 160 hp, 180 ft lbs of torque which is more than enough to move it at a brisk pace. Great sounding engine too. Only felt uncomfortable on 1 really long 5 hour drive that I took, and aside from that I fit great and I'm 6' 1". I must have picked up a lemon though because I seem to be the only person who had so many issues with reliability.

Great looks for its age, the engine note, satisfying and fun to drive.

None really. If you want an improvement on a GXE Maxima, then move up to an SE!