1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Maximiz'in 4 ever
By trixieinmt on 06/18/11 23:47 PM (PDT)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My husand & I purchased my 5 spd 91 Maxima SE in 96 when it had @100k already on it. Paid $7000 and every cent was worth it! I still own the car, speedo stopped working and was upset with husband when the replacement showed less miles (and doesn't keep up correctly) 7 of the years owned we have lived on a dirt road. Was told 7 yrs ago the rear seal leaks but still have not replaced and still no puddles in my driveway, doesn't burn oil. I can guarantee it has well over 320k miles. This car rocks! Only repairs have been for worn out parts and hitting one deer @ 80mph. Parts are hard to find these days and no one wants to sell including me. car will still easily do over 115+ mph. Love it!!

Two 1991 Nissan Maximas-both winners
By Roushfan5 on 03/14/10 11:52 AM (PDT)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned two 1991 Nissan Maximas, one was a 5 speed other then that the exact same car down to the color. I am reviewing the automatic one because I never got to drive the 5 speed one my father bought with 100,000 already on the odometer. We got it to 220,000 before my sister traded it in, and only then was the engine starting to show signs of wear-burning oil. Now we own an automatic, we have no idea of the actual mileage because the odometer doesn't count the miles to well, but at least 150,000est. The car is SOILD. I can not tell you how well this car performs. Of course it makes creeks and noises. But the car is 19 years old and still so awesome to drive. Plan to restore it ASAP.

Wonderful car
By Nathan on 01/02/09 06:34 AM (PST)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima from my dad. He bought it from my grandfather who bought it new in 91. It has been the best car I've ever owned. Fun to drive, completely reliable, and great on fuel. This car has one of the nicest clutches I've ever used. Smooth as silk. I like it even better than the new Lexus IS I recently drove. Fuel economy is awesome for a V6. I got 31 mpg once on a trip (all highway). I bought it with 121K on it, and now it has 181K. Other than a leaky gas line, all repairs have been routine and preventative. This car was the best $2,500 I ever spent. When I do finally buy a new car, it will probably be a newer Maxima.

Great car
By Vivek on 06/28/07 12:03 PM (PDT)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car about 2 years ago and it is great. Even after 16 years it still gets good gas mileage.The transmission blew at 160k got it fixed. Replaced the timing belt at 180K. But i can't beleive it came without a single cupholder. Still going strong at over 185k and i plan to keep it another year. It can still get up over 85+ MPH.

Great Choice!
By Trevor on 04/14/06 11:37 AM (PDT)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

What a great car! Mine's got over 130k and it still drives like new. Solid feeling, no rattles, comfortable and a sturdy motor. This car has lots of leg and head room for taller folks. (It's the first vehicle I've owned that I didn't need the seat all the way back.) Quiet and comfy on the highway. I can see this vehicle going at least another 100k miles.

Love my lil black nissan!
By Jenny on 02/20/06 00:13 AM (PST)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have never owned a BETTER vehicle, fast, fun, sporty & great on gas. One of a kind & hard to find, mine was purchased at an auction for $2500 & everyone asks me when I'm going to sell...NEVER!!!!

I'd Buy It Again
By SpiderMan on 01/12/06 17:37 PM (PST)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have driven every one of its 182,000 miles. There's never been a major problem, just routine service and repairs. Great performance, responsive steering, firm but smooth suspension. I've gone new car shopping several times in the last few years but I never see anything I like as well as my old Maxima. If I could just get another one new just like this one was 15 years ago, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

great car
By medeiros on 03/10/05 13:32 PM (PST)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2003 for $3,200 with 139,000 on it. I put $1,000 in it for a timing chain thermostat H20 pump etc. Since then I have put 20,000 miles on the car and have had to replace the alternator and the master cylinder. Total cost $450.00. Other than those repairs the car has perfomed very well. The car has lots of power and a fuel economy of 23/28. I also love all the standard features of the SE. Cruise control,anti lock breaks,sunroof,five speed,bose sterio.

After 14 years it still drives like new
By MarkhamMax on 02/28/05 18:05 PM (PST)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Having owned this vehicle for over a decade, I can vouch for it's reliability. The engine is remarkably strong coming up on its 14th birthday. Common problems are broken manifold studs (a $300-$400 one time repair if done right), shifter solenoid/ bushing can become tricky but easy to fix, LCD clock is unreliable, but are readily available on eBay in refurbished condition between $10-$20.

fun and dependable
By clover on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has continued to drive beautifully in both city driving and long cross country trips even after 200,000 miles. Some of those trips were 17-18 hrs. driving straight through with only short 30 min stops and gas. The brakes were the only thing that wore down quickly. Start right up even sitting out on cold Chicago winter nights.