Used 1991 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1991 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Maximiz'in 4 ever
By trixieinmt

1991 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

My husand & I purchased my 5 spd 91 Maxima SE in 96 when it had @100k already on it. Paid $7000 and every cent was worth it! I still own the car, speedo stopped working and was upset with husband when the replacement showed less miles (and doesn't keep up correctly) 7 of the years owned we have lived on a dirt road. Was told 7 yrs ago the rear seal leaks but still have not replaced and still no puddles in my driveway, doesn't burn oil. I can guarantee it has well over 320k miles. This car rocks! Only repairs have been for worn out parts and hitting one deer @ 80mph. Parts are hard to find these days and no one wants to sell including me. car will still easily do over 115+ mph. Love it!!

Favorite Features

Rack & pinion steering, comfort, stability, quality of entire vehicle, bose system, side light on blinkers.

Suggested Improvements

placement of fog lights, available parts for older vehicles

Two 1991 Nissan Maximas-both winners
By Roushfan5

1991 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned two 1991 Nissan Maximas, one was a 5 speed other then that the exact same car down to the color. I am reviewing the automatic one because I never got to drive the 5 speed one my father bought with 100,000 already on the odometer. We got it to 220,000 before my sister traded it in, and only then was the engine starting to show signs of wear-burning oil. Now we own an automatic, we have no idea of the actual mileage because the odometer doesn't count the miles to well, but at least 150,000est. The car is SOILD. I can not tell you how well this car performs. Of course it makes creeks and noises. But the car is 19 years old and still so awesome to drive. Plan to restore it ASAP.

Favorite Features

Strong and very quick 3.0L V6, great breaks and steering. Economical see up to 30MPG highway. Great looking. Comfort. Decently large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Been told of automatic transmission problems, but the car still shifts strong still and seems fine. Dash clock seems to be the only problem universally among the early 90's Nissan Sedans. However if this car had cup holders it be perfect. Bose system is crackling but its 20 years old.

Wonderful car
By Nathan

1991 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima from my dad. He bought it from my grandfather who bought it new in 91. It has been the best car I've ever owned. Fun to drive, completely reliable, and great on fuel. This car has one of the nicest clutches I've ever used. Smooth as silk. I like it even better than the new Lexus IS I recently drove. Fuel economy is awesome for a V6. I got 31 mpg once on a trip (all highway). I bought it with 121K on it, and now it has 181K. Other than a leaky gas line, all repairs have been routine and preventative. This car was the best $2,500 I ever spent. When I do finally buy a new car, it will probably be a newer Maxima.

Favorite Features

Reliability, power, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cup holders.

Great car
By Vivek

1991 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car about 2 years ago and it is great. Even after 16 years it still gets good gas mileage.The transmission blew at 160k got it fixed. Replaced the timing belt at 180K. But i can't beleive it came without a single cupholder. Still going strong at over 185k and i plan to keep it another year. It can still get up over 85+ MPH.

Favorite Features

Bose speakers, cruise.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would have been nice. Fuel indicator falls down to empty even with 3-4 gallons left. Goes through brakes pretty fast.

Great Choice!
By Trevor

1991 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

What a great car! Mine's got over 130k and it still drives like new. Solid feeling, no rattles, comfortable and a sturdy motor. This car has lots of leg and head room for taller folks. (It's the first vehicle I've owned that I didn't need the seat all the way back.) Quiet and comfy on the highway. I can see this vehicle going at least another 100k miles.

Favorite Features

Smooth, refined and solid motor. Reliable. Excellent fit and finish. Comfortable seats. Doesn't look like a 15 year old car. Keyless entry. Rust- free body.

Suggested Improvements

No cup holders. Lacking interior storage. Suspension a bit soft. Bose stereo quits working. Location of some of the switches is poor. Automatic seat belts are a pain.