Most fun per dollar
By JD on
1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan
I have owned 1990 SE manual since 99 and put 202,000 on it. Fun, fast, geared low but still gets up to 32 mpg highway. Average about 26mpg and as low as 22 city. I have replaced timing belt, alternator 2X. Rack and pinion, clutch master cyl. brake master cyl. two fuel injectors (change all 6 and you will get some great gas mileage if they are flow matched/balanced), two front struts, all 4 window regulators (get OEM for fronts and aftermarks for back), flex pipe 2X (the second time I just cut it out from J-pipe and clamped an aftermarket in. Make sure its a full braid not corrugated inner). All tires- General Ameri G4S, Bar.Bravaris, BFGood traction T/A have been great. I prefer 215/60R15.
Favorite Features
Power everything. Heavy car but worth the weight. Great ride for passengers. View is great from all seats. Little too much understeer. Power seatbelts. Bose sound. Looks like a car that is newer than 1990. Engine has lasted well. I run mob1 syn every 10000/12mos. It has 160HP and goes ~140mph
Suggested Improvements
Getting a little wind noise from age. rust appeared in 2000 right in front of the wheel well. Treated it and is re-appearing in 2009. Clock. Most of the replaceable wearable components have failed several times but the Car has yet to fail. Clock gets dim. Mine does not have ABS or any Airbags.