Used 1990 Nissan Maxima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best car I ever bought
By japanesecarfan

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 for $1500. It had 123000 miles in it. The interior and exterior were both in excellent condition. I had to do minimal maintenance to get the car up to par. Throughout the 12 years I owned it I did just regular maintenance. Tires tune up brakes fluid changes ect. Not until I got to around 200,000 miles did major repairs needed I replaced the automatic transmission with a used one and then replaced all the fuel injectors (only needed 2). This car has been a godsend It still drives just as good as the day I bought it even better with the new injectors. Has plenty of power handles well and it's still easy on the eyes.

I love the leg and head room of this car. I'm 6 foot and its nice and comfortable for long trips. It's quite on the highway with a nice set of tires and can cruise at 90mpg. Simple dash cluster sturdy design. Well built car.

The only reason I sold this car because of gas prices going up. It's not the most fuel efficient on the road. Otherwise I would have drove it into the ground if I could. I sold it with 229000 miles and it was still in perfect running condition. Did an emissions test right before I sold it and it was actually burning cleaner than the day I bought it 12 earlier.

Still Going, After All These Years!
By Kitty

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought "Golda" from an elderly couple who only put 78K miles on her in 16 years! Her paint was shot and of course her window regulators needed to be redone, but she was a true bargain at $1800. Four years, a paint job, new regulators and an alternator later, she's still going! Starts every time. Ice cold AC, replaced the stereo for a CD player. She's the envy of my coworkers who suffer with big car payments. She's old, but who cares? She looks great. Classic lines, lots of pep, no rust, interior looks great and she gets me everywhere. I'm at 144K now and she's still like a new car. If you find a decent one, buy it! These cars really do run forever! 20+ years and counting!

Easy maintenance. Starts every time. lots of power. Classic lines. Excellent build quality. She's still a looker! Cornering lights are cool too. Great trunk size. Roomy, but not bulky. Easy to drive and park.

No cup holders. Passenger seat should have lumbar adjustment too.

A 19 yr old car that won't die!
By Nick

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I own a 1989 GXE with ALL factory options (digital speedometer, heads-up display, sunroof, leather, etc). I bought it in 1999 with 116,000 miles for $1,500. It's now 2008 and I'm still driving it. I've "invested" $5-6k total on it the past 8 years. It now has 280,000 miles on it. I've only had usual wear and tear maintenance done on it (seals, belts, brakes, hoses, a radiator, tires, bushings, etc). I've overheated it (briefly) 3 times and it still runs near perfect. The engine sounds a little "tired" but I still pull away from everyone at traffic lights at only 2,300rpm! On the highway it's smooth as can be. 125mph top speed. This is a car that was built to last.

Digital speedometer, head-up display, leather and a stylish body all for $75-80/month on average with all the repair/maintenance costs over the years! Who can complain!

Whoever thought automatic seat belts instead of airbags was cool was an idiot. Who ever thought removing cup holders to cut costs was a moron.

No Stopping It!
By Jimmy T

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nashville and drove it up to Michigan and love it! Totally reliable and always ready to give. I've replaced the starter and the alternator and a few minor things, but that's it! It currently has 168,000 miles on it and there's no sign of slowing down. It's not an eye catcher, but anything that pays me to drive it, who cares! Wonderful investment and I'll most likely drive it into the ground.

Sporty fast and a rocket to drive. Very reliable and dependable. Bose system is still rockin hard. Body is virtually rust free.

Where are the cup holders??

Fits me just fine
By lilyank04

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in August or June and within 17000 miles the transmission went out on it. I thought it was a rip off but when I bought the car it had 120000 miles. And from 120-137000 miles I enjoyed racing everything i passed and saw beside the police. My uncle has a 1994 Maxima and his is a lot faster than mine and he can hall butt on that one, then last month he bought the 2004 Maxima, all can say is Everything that i buy from here on out will be a Maxima because I love power, racing and speed.

Pass keypad, Sound System, Confortable back seat, and power everything including sunroof.

Maybe a little bit more power so I can show what my uncle is working wit with his 2004 Maxima eventhough no matter what I won't see nothing but white paint and red tail lights.