1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Best car I ever bought
By japanesecarfan on 02/19/13 11:54 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 for $1500. It had 123000 miles in it. The interior and exterior were both in excellent condition. I had to do minimal maintenance to get the car up to par. Throughout the 12 years I owned it I did just regular maintenance. Tires tune up brakes fluid changes ect. Not until I got to around 200,000 miles did major repairs needed I replaced the automatic transmission with a used one and then replaced all the fuel injectors (only needed 2). This car has been a godsend It still drives just as good as the day I bought it even better with the new injectors. Has plenty of power handles well and it's still easy on the eyes.

Still Going, After All These Years!
By Kitty on 08/05/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought "Golda" from an elderly couple who only put 78K miles on her in 16 years! Her paint was shot and of course her window regulators needed to be redone, but she was a true bargain at $1800. Four years, a paint job, new regulators and an alternator later, she's still going! Starts every time. Ice cold AC, replaced the stereo for a CD player. She's the envy of my coworkers who suffer with big car payments. She's old, but who cares? She looks great. Classic lines, lots of pep, no rust, interior looks great and she gets me everywhere. I'm at 144K now and she's still like a new car. If you find a decent one, buy it! These cars really do run forever! 20+ years and counting!

A 19 yr old car that won't die!
By Nick on 01/04/08 21:12 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I own a 1989 GXE with ALL factory options (digital speedometer, heads-up display, sunroof, leather, etc). I bought it in 1999 with 116,000 miles for $1,500. It's now 2008 and I'm still driving it. I've "invested" $5-6k total on it the past 8 years. It now has 280,000 miles on it. I've only had usual wear and tear maintenance done on it (seals, belts, brakes, hoses, a radiator, tires, bushings, etc). I've overheated it (briefly) 3 times and it still runs near perfect. The engine sounds a little "tired" but I still pull away from everyone at traffic lights at only 2,300rpm! On the highway it's smooth as can be. 125mph top speed. This is a car that was built to last.

No Stopping It!
By Jimmy T on 06/11/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nashville and drove it up to Michigan and love it! Totally reliable and always ready to give. I've replaced the starter and the alternator and a few minor things, but that's it! It currently has 168,000 miles on it and there's no sign of slowing down. It's not an eye catcher, but anything that pays me to drive it, who cares! Wonderful investment and I'll most likely drive it into the ground.

Fits me just fine
By lilyank04 on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in August or June and within 17000 miles the transmission went out on it. I thought it was a rip off but when I bought the car it had 120000 miles. And from 120-137000 miles I enjoyed racing everything i passed and saw beside the police. My uncle has a 1994 Maxima and his is a lot faster than mine and he can hall butt on that one, then last month he bought the 2004 Maxima, all can say is Everything that i buy from here on out will be a Maxima because I love power, racing and speed.

for a 13 yr old car? im very happy
By joe shmoe from NY on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

ive had this car for over 2 years and its been pretty reliable. although ive had to change the alternator and the starter at least once a year. other than that. i love it.

Best car I've ever owned - and stylish
By vrickey on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

If you want a fast, good-looking, comfortable car with power that seats five comfortably, this is it. This car has few if any flaws, and still looks sporty on the road today after 14 years. Powerful V6 engine; no blind spots; standard sound system has deep base; Bose ugrade must sound even better; with routine service, the engine will never die. I would buy it again new today if still offered in this body style and configuration.

Best car I've owned!
By acdc62 on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used in 97 with 90000 miles. Now 140000 miles. Changed tires, timing belt all window regulators, regular maintance, but that's pretty much it. Excellent car. My friends 97 maxima dosen't even come close to it. Never stalled druring the time I've had it. Always came to the rescue when my friend's cars stalled on the freeway.

Absolutely Loved this car!
By minime76 on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I had purchased a 90 Max GXE with 120,000 miles on it in March 00 and sold it Feb 03, and I put an additional 20,000 miles on it before I sold it. While I had it, I had the struts changed, and performed other routine maintainance, but nothing out of the ordinary (my rear window failed to go back up once I took it down, but I didn't replace it). I recently purchased another car, and was forced to sell this beauty, because I no longer had room for it. I must admit, this was a great car, and I still think this is by far the best used car on this planet!

LOVE IT
By kc932 on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car when it had like 10,000 miles on it. I learned how to drive in this car and later on used it to drive 130 miles to and from work. It all the years we had it I used and abused this car and it kept asking for more! "Is that all you got?" is what I felt like it said everytime I got home. 89 Camaro 94 Camaro Z-28 and an Oldsmobile Aurora later I regret selling this car. Just bought a 91 SE yesterday. Once you have had this car you cant go back! Only problems window regulators, exhaust and lack of the clock working.