Used 1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best car I ever bought
By japanesecarfan

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 for $1500. It had 123000 miles in it. The interior and exterior were both in excellent condition. I had to do minimal maintenance to get the car up to par. Throughout the 12 years I owned it I did just regular maintenance. Tires tune up brakes fluid changes ect. Not until I got to around 200,000 miles did major repairs needed I replaced the automatic transmission with a used one and then replaced all the fuel injectors (only needed 2). This car has been a godsend It still drives just as good as the day I bought it even better with the new injectors. Has plenty of power handles well and it's still easy on the eyes.

Favorite Features

I love the leg and head room of this car. I'm 6 foot and its nice and comfortable for long trips. It's quite on the highway with a nice set of tires and can cruise at 90mpg. Simple dash cluster sturdy design. Well built car.

Suggested Improvements

The only reason I sold this car because of gas prices going up. It's not the most fuel efficient on the road. Otherwise I would have drove it into the ground if I could. I sold it with 229000 miles and it was still in perfect running condition. Did an emissions test right before I sold it and it was actually burning cleaner than the day I bought it 12 earlier.

Still Going, After All These Years!
By Kitty

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought "Golda" from an elderly couple who only put 78K miles on her in 16 years! Her paint was shot and of course her window regulators needed to be redone, but she was a true bargain at $1800. Four years, a paint job, new regulators and an alternator later, she's still going! Starts every time. Ice cold AC, replaced the stereo for a CD player. She's the envy of my coworkers who suffer with big car payments. She's old, but who cares? She looks great. Classic lines, lots of pep, no rust, interior looks great and she gets me everywhere. I'm at 144K now and she's still like a new car. If you find a decent one, buy it! These cars really do run forever! 20+ years and counting!

Favorite Features

Easy maintenance. Starts every time. lots of power. Classic lines. Excellent build quality. She's still a looker! Cornering lights are cool too. Great trunk size. Roomy, but not bulky. Easy to drive and park.

Suggested Improvements

No cup holders. Passenger seat should have lumbar adjustment too.

Miss my '90 SE
By wildanimal

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1990 SE loaded with the CD & ABS the only options available that year. I drove the car for 5 years trading it in at 115,000 for a 1996 Millennium S. The Maxima was so reliable. Went back to dealer once for the CD button sticking (Dealer Installation Error). I got a hole in AC condenser at about 90,000. That was the only trouble I ever had. Changed the brake pads my self & the timing belt. Easiest modern car I ever owned to work on. I ran 115MPH for an hour & she purred. Consistently got 32 mph highway. Best car ever

Favorite Features

Handling. Mileage. Price. Comfort

Will Never Sell
By George

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 98 with 123,00 miles. Drove it (and LOVED it) for 30,000 more with just routine maintenance. Had to get a more "mainstream" looking car for work (boss said the window tint made it look too "gangster" for my position, heh). Anyway, this car sat unused in my yard for 5 years: I just could not bring myself to sell it despite numerous offers. Also, could not afford to keep multiple cars tagged and insured, so it just sat, neglected. I have just spent $900 to bring it back to life (battery, filters, sparks,tires etc.) and now remember why I could not part with it. This car is just so much fun to drive! Everything working great except stereo, clock and windows. 21 year old engine! LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Engine is amazing! Fast and handles well. Durable as hell! Pressure washed it today and it looks practically brand new after removing years of tree sap, bird poop etc. Heads up, do NOT pressure wash the striping: they are decals and will wash off. The dashboard look is the best ever. SUNROOF!

Suggested Improvements

ALL Nissan maxima's in this generation absolutely STINK as far as power window failures! They ALL fail after 100k-ish miles from what I can tell. Also, if the Bose stereo goes, it is a nightmare to replace/repair. Clock is dead. Of the 8 cars I have owned, THIS is the one I will NEVER sell!

Most fun per dollar
By JD

1990 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 1990 SE manual since 99 and put 202,000 on it. Fun, fast, geared low but still gets up to 32 mpg highway. Average about 26mpg and as low as 22 city. I have replaced timing belt, alternator 2X. Rack and pinion, clutch master cyl. brake master cyl. two fuel injectors (change all 6 and you will get some great gas mileage if they are flow matched/balanced), two front struts, all 4 window regulators (get OEM for fronts and aftermarks for back), flex pipe 2X (the second time I just cut it out from J-pipe and clamped an aftermarket in. Make sure its a full braid not corrugated inner). All tires- General Ameri G4S, Bar.Bravaris, BFGood traction T/A have been great. I prefer 215/60R15.

Favorite Features

Power everything. Heavy car but worth the weight. Great ride for passengers. View is great from all seats. Little too much understeer. Power seatbelts. Bose sound. Looks like a car that is newer than 1990. Engine has lasted well. I run mob1 syn every 10000/12mos. It has 160HP and goes ~140mph

Suggested Improvements

Getting a little wind noise from age. rust appeared in 2000 right in front of the wheel well. Treated it and is re-appearing in 2009. Clock. Most of the replaceable wearable components have failed several times but the Car has yet to fail. Clock gets dim. Mine does not have ABS or any Airbags.