Used 1990 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Miss my '90 SE
By wildanimal

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1990 SE loaded with the CD & ABS the only options available that year. I drove the car for 5 years trading it in at 115,000 for a 1996 Millennium S. The Maxima was so reliable. Went back to dealer once for the CD button sticking (Dealer Installation Error). I got a hole in AC condenser at about 90,000. That was the only trouble I ever had. Changed the brake pads my self & the timing belt. Easiest modern car I ever owned to work on. I ran 115MPH for an hour & she purred. Consistently got 32 mph highway. Best car ever

Favorite Features

Handling. Mileage. Price. Comfort

Will Never Sell
By George

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 98 with 123,00 miles. Drove it (and LOVED it) for 30,000 more with just routine maintenance. Had to get a more "mainstream" looking car for work (boss said the window tint made it look too "gangster" for my position, heh). Anyway, this car sat unused in my yard for 5 years: I just could not bring myself to sell it despite numerous offers. Also, could not afford to keep multiple cars tagged and insured, so it just sat, neglected. I have just spent $900 to bring it back to life (battery, filters, sparks,tires etc.) and now remember why I could not part with it. This car is just so much fun to drive! Everything working great except stereo, clock and windows. 21 year old engine! LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Engine is amazing! Fast and handles well. Durable as hell! Pressure washed it today and it looks practically brand new after removing years of tree sap, bird poop etc. Heads up, do NOT pressure wash the striping: they are decals and will wash off. The dashboard look is the best ever. SUNROOF!

Suggested Improvements

ALL Nissan maxima's in this generation absolutely STINK as far as power window failures! They ALL fail after 100k-ish miles from what I can tell. Also, if the Bose stereo goes, it is a nightmare to replace/repair. Clock is dead. Of the 8 cars I have owned, THIS is the one I will NEVER sell!

Most fun per dollar
By JD

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 1990 SE manual since 99 and put 202,000 on it. Fun, fast, geared low but still gets up to 32 mpg highway. Average about 26mpg and as low as 22 city. I have replaced timing belt, alternator 2X. Rack and pinion, clutch master cyl. brake master cyl. two fuel injectors (change all 6 and you will get some great gas mileage if they are flow matched/balanced), two front struts, all 4 window regulators (get OEM for fronts and aftermarks for back), flex pipe 2X (the second time I just cut it out from J-pipe and clamped an aftermarket in. Make sure its a full braid not corrugated inner). All tires- General Ameri G4S, Bar.Bravaris, BFGood traction T/A have been great. I prefer 215/60R15.

Favorite Features

Power everything. Heavy car but worth the weight. Great ride for passengers. View is great from all seats. Little too much understeer. Power seatbelts. Bose sound. Looks like a car that is newer than 1990. Engine has lasted well. I run mob1 syn every 10000/12mos. It has 160HP and goes ~140mph

Suggested Improvements

Getting a little wind noise from age. rust appeared in 2000 right in front of the wheel well. Treated it and is re-appearing in 2009. Clock. Most of the replaceable wearable components have failed several times but the Car has yet to fail. Clock gets dim. Mine does not have ABS or any Airbags.

Thoughts on a first car
By santa k relli

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I learned to drive a stick with this car and it is truly the first car I've owned. The brakes are a little stiff but the ride is better than my parents 04 Saturn and more comfy than their 98 Suburban.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system, 5 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

A battery meter would have been nice, more space to put things in between the front two seats, and the seat controls are hard to get right and have a tendency to move.

A great car for over 14 yrs!
By Chad

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1990 Nissan Maxima SE since my sophomore year in college. This car excelled performance wise for 4 yrs in the mountains of Colorado. The car always started and heated up quiclky in the sub zero temps in Minnesota for 4 years. For the past 7 yrs the car has done great in FL, the A/C always cooling down. The Maxima is a great quality car that will keep on running. The engine is great and the interior has held up very well. Highly recomended.