1990 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Best car I ever bought
By japanesecarfan on 02/19/13 11:54 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 for $1500. It had 123000 miles in it. The interior and exterior were both in excellent condition. I had to do minimal maintenance to get the car up to par. Throughout the 12 years I owned it I did just regular maintenance. Tires tune up brakes fluid changes ect. Not until I got to around 200,000 miles did major repairs needed I replaced the automatic transmission with a used one and then replaced all the fuel injectors (only needed 2). This car has been a godsend It still drives just as good as the day I bought it even better with the new injectors. Has plenty of power handles well and it's still easy on the eyes.

Still Going, After All These Years!
By Kitty on 08/05/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought "Golda" from an elderly couple who only put 78K miles on her in 16 years! Her paint was shot and of course her window regulators needed to be redone, but she was a true bargain at $1800. Four years, a paint job, new regulators and an alternator later, she's still going! Starts every time. Ice cold AC, replaced the stereo for a CD player. She's the envy of my coworkers who suffer with big car payments. She's old, but who cares? She looks great. Classic lines, lots of pep, no rust, interior looks great and she gets me everywhere. I'm at 144K now and she's still like a new car. If you find a decent one, buy it! These cars really do run forever! 20+ years and counting!

Miss my '90 SE
By wildanimal on 07/24/10 17:58 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1990 SE loaded with the CD & ABS the only options available that year. I drove the car for 5 years trading it in at 115,000 for a 1996 Millennium S. The Maxima was so reliable. Went back to dealer once for the CD button sticking (Dealer Installation Error). I got a hole in AC condenser at about 90,000. That was the only trouble I ever had. Changed the brake pads my self & the timing belt. Easiest modern car I ever owned to work on. I ran 115MPH for an hour & she purred. Consistently got 32 mph highway. Best car ever

Will Never Sell
By George on 05/23/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 98 with 123,00 miles. Drove it (and LOVED it) for 30,000 more with just routine maintenance. Had to get a more "mainstream" looking car for work (boss said the window tint made it look too "gangster" for my position, heh). Anyway, this car sat unused in my yard for 5 years: I just could not bring myself to sell it despite numerous offers. Also, could not afford to keep multiple cars tagged and insured, so it just sat, neglected. I have just spent $900 to bring it back to life (battery, filters, sparks,tires etc.) and now remember why I could not part with it. This car is just so much fun to drive! Everything working great except stereo, clock and windows. 21 year old engine! LOVE IT!

Most fun per dollar
By JD on 12/23/09 12:57 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 1990 SE manual since 99 and put 202,000 on it. Fun, fast, geared low but still gets up to 32 mpg highway. Average about 26mpg and as low as 22 city. I have replaced timing belt, alternator 2X. Rack and pinion, clutch master cyl. brake master cyl. two fuel injectors (change all 6 and you will get some great gas mileage if they are flow matched/balanced), two front struts, all 4 window regulators (get OEM for fronts and aftermarks for back), flex pipe 2X (the second time I just cut it out from J-pipe and clamped an aftermarket in. Make sure its a full braid not corrugated inner). All tires- General Ameri G4S, Bar.Bravaris, BFGood traction T/A have been great. I prefer 215/60R15.

A 19 yr old car that won't die!
By Nick on 01/04/08 21:12 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I own a 1989 GXE with ALL factory options (digital speedometer, heads-up display, sunroof, leather, etc). I bought it in 1999 with 116,000 miles for $1,500. It's now 2008 and I'm still driving it. I've "invested" $5-6k total on it the past 8 years. It now has 280,000 miles on it. I've only had usual wear and tear maintenance done on it (seals, belts, brakes, hoses, a radiator, tires, bushings, etc). I've overheated it (briefly) 3 times and it still runs near perfect. The engine sounds a little "tired" but I still pull away from everyone at traffic lights at only 2,300rpm! On the highway it's smooth as can be. 125mph top speed. This is a car that was built to last.

Thoughts on a first car
By santa k relli on 06/24/07 22:53 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I learned to drive a stick with this car and it is truly the first car I've owned. The brakes are a little stiff but the ride is better than my parents 04 Saturn and more comfy than their 98 Suburban.

No Stopping It!
By Jimmy T on 06/11/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nashville and drove it up to Michigan and love it! Totally reliable and always ready to give. I've replaced the starter and the alternator and a few minor things, but that's it! It currently has 168,000 miles on it and there's no sign of slowing down. It's not an eye catcher, but anything that pays me to drive it, who cares! Wonderful investment and I'll most likely drive it into the ground.

A great car for over 14 yrs!
By Chad on 09/21/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1990 Nissan Maxima SE since my sophomore year in college. This car excelled performance wise for 4 yrs in the mountains of Colorado. The car always started and heated up quiclky in the sub zero temps in Minnesota for 4 years. For the past 7 yrs the car has done great in FL, the A/C always cooling down. The Maxima is a great quality car that will keep on running. The engine is great and the interior has held up very well. Highly recomended.

This car is a keeper
By Maxlover on 01/15/05 14:26 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Nissan Maxima used in 1992 with 36,000 miles on it. My first unplanned repair was a transmission rebuild at 150,000 miles for $2,500. It sits in my driveway right now with 178,000 miles with full compression in all cylinders. It starts quickly even in -9 degree weather. People offer me money for ti all the time, but I just can't part with anything this reliable. One feature that makes these cars so reliable is that all the electrical connectors are military-grade with full rubber seals. So many cars skimp on connectors, which means they start to get corroded eventually and cause hard-to-diagnose problems. Not this car. If you want a reliable vehicle this is it, and it is a blast to drive as well.