Test drive it and you will be sold!
By atlpsychdoc on
2013 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)
Had my 2013 for about 3 months now. I cannot imagine EVER driving an ICE car again. Now, gas powered cars feel crude, rough and loud. The Leaf is smooth and quiet. I feel like I'm driving on air. I love the fact that I am helping to decrease our dependence on foreign oil and that I am not contributing emissions to the environment. (This car was second choice to my unaffordable fantasy car, a TESLA , but I truly couldn't be happier.) Acceleration is not exactly going to wow you when getting up to highway speeds, but it's certainly enough to feel safe merging into highway traffic. I expected an electric car would be VERY sluggish and was pleasantly surprised from the test drive on!
Favorite Features
Smooth and quiet. My electric bill has gone up exactly $18 per month. (I was spending more than $300/mo in gas for an SUV so this is a welcome change.) Heated seats/steering wheel have made winter driving SO comfortable. I blow past people when taking off from a stop at a traffic light. Believe it or not this car has MORE ROOM on the inside than my old SUV! It is quite spacious because there is no need for all that clutter under the hood like gas powered vehicles. For someone whose commute is < 40 mi., mostly city driving or congested highway traffic, it's perfect! With federal & state tax credits ($8500+$5000) & gas & maintenance savings, the car practically pays for itself!
Suggested Improvements
Can't think of anything major other than improving the driving range so that others will come to their senses and buy electric! It'd be nice to have more than one USB port, but I haven't come across any cars (gas powered or otherwise) that have more than one anyway. The cord that comes with the car should have the capacity to be used for plug-in 220V charging instead of just typical household outlet. Had a 220V outlet installed in my garage and the cord upgraded aftermarket so that that I can plug in at home for a 4-5 hour full charge for a fraction of what installing a charging station would have cost. (A few hundred dollars instead of $1000-2000+)
By boeserkritiker
on 05/14/14 11:53 AM (PDT)

Of course you are contributing emissions to the environment. Where do you think most electricity comes from in this country? From burning fossil fuels! Unless you are paying extra for electricity specifically produced from renewable sources you are living in an illusion. Some utilities over programs for renewable power.