2013 Nissan Leaf 0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive Consumer Review - Great Commuter Car

2013 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Review

Great Commuter Car
By mr_kq on

2013 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

As long as you use this car within its range limitations it is wonderful. I am getting the EPA rated range without trouble (about 85 miles with 100% charge and 65 miles with 80% charge which is recommended to maximize battery life).

Favorite Features

The drivetrain is as smooth and quiet as cars costing twice and much or more. When I drive my wife's BMW it feels like a tractor compared to the leaf. Pre-heating the interior while still plugged in (not using any driving range) is a great feature, especially if you park outdoors like I do. With the 2013 price reduction, $7500 tax credit, no oil changes, no emission inspections and $8000 in fuel savings over 100,000 miles the car will cost as much to own a noisy econobox.

Suggested Improvements

I tried to use Aerovironment, the recommended charge port installer, but their service was poor. After 2-1/2 weeks I still didn't have a firm installation date. I went to Amazon and bought the equipment and had a local electrician do the installation - all in 5 days. Of course, more driving range would be great.