Best Second Car Ever
By carlsbad2 on
2013 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)
We were tired of paying $ 80 per tank to run around town getting 16 MPG running errands etc. This Leaf is fun to drive and has lots of room I am 6.4 and do not fit with comfort in many cars but the headroom in this is great. After 2.5 months of ownership very happy get 90 mile range on a full charge. Able to charge for free at many Nissan dealers . Fast charger at dealers will get you a full charge in 40 minutes. Electric bill has gone up about $ 50 per month charging up almost every night. I did not purchase the level 2 charger as I can charge overnight in about 12 hours with the 6.6 KW on board charger. Our utility company gives better rates for EV owners if you use off peak power
Favorite Features
No gas ever. I feel like I just found money and time every day I use this car. This will be a great second car for 80 % of the families out there. For what I was paying for gas per month for my infiniti I lease and charge this car. It feels like a free car. Surprisingly quick acceleration 0-40 then tapers off. Growing network of places to Charge in southern California for a small fee or Nissan dealers will charge the car for free so don not be afraid to venture farther from home. In Southern California $ 2500 from the state and $ 7500 from the federal government for having one of these.
Suggested Improvements
I complimented the headroom but being tall a little more legroom would be nice. Not a huge deal as this is not a car for long trips. I think this could be accomplished if the seat traveled back a little farther for those times when there are no back seat passengers and you need more space up front. The styling is a little strange for some. Sometimes we do not shut the back hatch all the way and the rear cargo area light remains on. It would be nice to be able to disenable that light . you would not be able to drive away as the dash warns you but once the car is off in the garage at home this can create problems.
By marcin
on 09/03/13 09:45 AM (PDT)

So you charge with 110v? According to many sources, when charging with 110v it does not matter if you have 6.6KW charger or 3.3KW, they both charge the same on 110v. I debating on 6.6KW package but this would be beneficial only if used with L2 charger. Your statement confuses me.

By justbobf
on 04/07/14 09:00 AM (PDT)

I was confused about this before we leased our Leaf, too. Short answerL definitely get the quick charge package if you ever intent to go out-of-town. Long answer: The charger is in the car, not at the charging stations. There are three ways to charge: L1: Plug the cable that comes with the car into a 110V outlet. Charges in 21 hours. Sounds like a long time, but that's all we use because I work from home and the car is plugged in whenever it is here. L2: Uses the same plug (on the car) as the 110V cable, but utilizes 220V, the same as you may have on your electric clothes dryer. This can either be from a dedicated charger you have installed, an extra 220V plug you have installed, or from any of the 220V charging stations around town (that uses the standard J1772 charging port in the Leaf). If you have the base 3.3 kW charger in the car, it will charge in 7 hours. It does not matter if the charging station in in your garage, or if you are paying my the hour at a commercial station. It's 7 hours. The quick charge package replaces the 3.3 kW charger with both a 6.6 kW charger and a quick chafer port. These are independent of each other. The 6.6 kW charger utilizes the same J1772 charging port, but charges the car in just 4 hours at any station, at home or out. The package also adds a Lever 3 port, known as a CHAdeMO port (see next paragraph). L3: This is a 440V port and system. The CHAdeMO charging stations are found mostly at Nissan dealerships, though there are a few commercial ones around. This system will give you an 80% charge in 30 minutes and a 100% charge in 1 hour. You need the quick charge package to get both the 6.6 kW charger and the 30 minute quick charge port. You don't want to go out of town and have to wait 7 hours to get back. And, you don't want to pay double the price of charging at an outside vendor because your car takes twice as long to charge. So, get the quick charge package is you will ever leave town.