Used 2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

know what is important to you
By jas2012leaf

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I lease a 2012 Leaf. It comes with no spare tire, a real drag. It is not a winter car for those who have trouble driving in snow. It needs winter tires for the front, and I don't know how much that will help. Using heat,wipers,defrost, and driving in snow lessens the range by 30%. I commute 26 miles uphill <1000 ft and I've used 80% of the power to do it in winter on bad days. I use a 120volt space heater to warm the car first. Better range (126 mi/charge) 2016. Ad now is misleading . 126/106 isn't the range, but the mpg equivalent- comparing it to a gas car. Don't be fooled. Solar roof is available only overseas,not in usa yet. Decent second car, my 1st, but I'm waiting to 2016 for next..

Favorite Features

Good room except trunk, acceleration is fine. Good headlights. Gps, radio. Good seats,and electric seat heat.

Going EV - Sooner the better!!
By blue_dog

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I sat on it for 6 months before i pulled the trigger. My daily commute is 40 to 60 miles (one way) and I spend $600.00 a month on gas. model:SL with 360 all around view with Bose sound system I stopped by my health club (before or after work) to charge my car while I work out. Travel takes more planning than driving ICE vehicles but eventually becomes systemic. at times when I get low on battery capacity, i just move over to slower lane. i watch power meter like a hawk and rarely go over the 4th circle.

Favorite Features

Love: quietness, well laid out cockpit, 360 all around view. car size. i would've got Tesla Model S but parking can be insane with 19" longer car in SF on the fence: for the price, sound system nice for most years but need to have better quality

Suggested Improvements

get rid of that tress stuff!! control button on the steering wheel need to be lit up for night view

Not a cold weather car!!
By budreaux1

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

If you live where it rains or snows don't buy this car. The car body designers never drove this car in rain or snow. The spray from the tires creates a truly ugly car within miles. The snow build-up in wheel wells and the 6-12 inches of crud on the running boards is beyond annoying. Try to buy a splash guard post-factory? Not available without a special order and a 4 to 5 week wait. The actual driving range in winter is lowered by several factors: 1. less charge in cold temps (10-12 miles less) 2. if you use the climate control 15 to 20 miles are subtracted from your range estimate. So if you want a car that can go 50 to 60 miles and turn your garage into an ice rink...this is the one.

Suggested Improvements

A way to control road spray and snow build-up on the rocker panels and rear door.

Loving it! It handles like a sports car.
By luand

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I absolute love driving the 2013 Nissan Leaf S model that we have leased. It reminds me of the driving dynamics of the Mini Cooper that we used to own. The biggest problem is that I tend to drive about 15 miles above the speed limit with the Leaf because it's so quiet and smooth. One thing that I'd wish for is better/smoother braking when regenerative braking is being applied. Another is better location of some of the control buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The majority of these buttons are not illuminated and are hidden by the steering wheel.

Favorite Features

quietness, smooth, handles like its on rail, heated steering wheel and front/rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

better location of some control buttons, smoother regenerative braking. Carwing should be included in the base model S.

Test drive it and you will be sold!
By atlpsychdoc

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Had my 2013 for about 3 months now. I cannot imagine EVER driving an ICE car again. Now, gas powered cars feel crude, rough and loud. The Leaf is smooth and quiet. I feel like I'm driving on air. I love the fact that I am helping to decrease our dependence on foreign oil and that I am not contributing emissions to the environment. (This car was second choice to my unaffordable fantasy car, a TESLA , but I truly couldn't be happier.) Acceleration is not exactly going to wow you when getting up to highway speeds, but it's certainly enough to feel safe merging into highway traffic. I expected an electric car would be VERY sluggish and was pleasantly surprised from the test drive on!

Favorite Features

Smooth and quiet. My electric bill has gone up exactly $18 per month. (I was spending more than $300/mo in gas for an SUV so this is a welcome change.) Heated seats/steering wheel have made winter driving SO comfortable. I blow past people when taking off from a stop at a traffic light. Believe it or not this car has MORE ROOM on the inside than my old SUV! It is quite spacious because there is no need for all that clutter under the hood like gas powered vehicles. For someone whose commute is < 40 mi., mostly city driving or congested highway traffic, it's perfect! With federal & state tax credits ($8500+$5000) & gas & maintenance savings, the car practically pays for itself!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything major other than improving the driving range so that others will come to their senses and buy electric! It'd be nice to have more than one USB port, but I haven't come across any cars (gas powered or otherwise) that have more than one anyway. The cord that comes with the car should have the capacity to be used for plug-in 220V charging instead of just typical household outlet. Had a 220V outlet installed in my garage and the cord upgraded aftermarket so that that I can plug in at home for a 4-5 hour full charge for a fraction of what installing a charging station would have cost. (A few hundred dollars instead of $1000-2000+)