2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:
Makes me enjoy driving!
By twoolz on 06/06/14 21:34 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This is the best car I've ever owned. Front seats are very comfortable. It is whisper quiet even at high speeds, has adequate storage area, seats 4 comfortably. We decided to lease the 2014 because technology is changing and - like a laptop - it could be hard to resell a few years from now. We got the $7500 rebate, a great trade-in on the 2006 Prius and the payments are incredibly low - $183 a month. The quick charger works great and recharges the car in a few hours and the city paid for half of the cost! It's a no-brainer: it's the perfect second car for running errands around town and 90 miles will cover a lot of errands! Love it!!

Getting used to Value!
By john5501 on 05/20/14 12:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have owned my Leaf for about 3 yrs now and I still marvel at all the gas, oil, and maintenance dollars I have saved over the years. I also own a Highlander hybrid and it's amazing how much just routine maintenance costs each year. The LEAF still looks new and has not had the first problem. Of course, it would be nice if the range was over 70 miles, but as a 2nd car that is really all I need. From a value standpoint this is one of my best buys. My wife and granddaughters all fit fine in the front and back and it's a great car about town. I charge the Leaf about 95% in my garage and my electric bill is still in the same range as it always was - you would never know I charge a car daily.

know what is important to you
By jas2012leaf on 04/30/14 19:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I lease a 2012 Leaf. It comes with no spare tire, a real drag. It is not a winter car for those who have trouble driving in snow. It needs winter tires for the front, and I don't know how much that will help. Using heat,wipers,defrost, and driving in snow lessens the range by 30%. I commute 26 miles uphill <1000 ft and I've used 80% of the power to do it in winter on bad days. I use a 120volt space heater to warm the car first. Better range (126 mi/charge) 2016. Ad now is misleading . 126/106 isn't the range, but the mpg equivalent- comparing it to a gas car. Don't be fooled. Solar roof is available only overseas,not in usa yet. Decent second car, my 1st, but I'm waiting to 2016 for next..

Going EV - Sooner the better!!
By blue_dog on 04/06/14 21:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I sat on it for 6 months before i pulled the trigger. My daily commute is 40 to 60 miles (one way) and I spend $600.00 a month on gas. model:SL with 360 all around view with Bose sound system I stopped by my health club (before or after work) to charge my car while I work out. Travel takes more planning than driving ICE vehicles but eventually becomes systemic. at times when I get low on battery capacity, i just move over to slower lane. i watch power meter like a hawk and rarely go over the 4th circle.

Not a cold weather car!!
By budreaux1 on 01/08/14 12:39 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

If you live where it rains or snows don't buy this car. The car body designers never drove this car in rain or snow. The spray from the tires creates a truly ugly car within miles. The snow build-up in wheel wells and the 6-12 inches of crud on the running boards is beyond annoying. Try to buy a splash guard post-factory? Not available without a special order and a 4 to 5 week wait. The actual driving range in winter is lowered by several factors: 1. less charge in cold temps (10-12 miles less) 2. if you use the climate control 15 to 20 miles are subtracted from your range estimate. So if you want a car that can go 50 to 60 miles and turn your garage into an ice rink...this is the one.

Loving it! It handles like a sports car.
By luand on 12/06/13 13:14 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I absolute love driving the 2013 Nissan Leaf S model that we have leased. It reminds me of the driving dynamics of the Mini Cooper that we used to own. The biggest problem is that I tend to drive about 15 miles above the speed limit with the Leaf because it's so quiet and smooth. One thing that I'd wish for is better/smoother braking when regenerative braking is being applied. Another is better location of some of the control buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The majority of these buttons are not illuminated and are hidden by the steering wheel.

Test drive it and you will be sold!
By atlpsychdoc on 11/28/13 07:35 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Had my 2013 for about 3 months now. I cannot imagine EVER driving an ICE car again. Now, gas powered cars feel crude, rough and loud. The Leaf is smooth and quiet. I feel like I'm driving on air. I love the fact that I am helping to decrease our dependence on foreign oil and that I am not contributing emissions to the environment. (This car was second choice to my unaffordable fantasy car, a TESLA , but I truly couldn't be happier.) Acceleration is not exactly going to wow you when getting up to highway speeds, but it's certainly enough to feel safe merging into highway traffic. I expected an electric car would be VERY sluggish and was pleasantly surprised from the test drive on!

the second car becomes my first car
By seattle_ite on 10/26/13 08:57 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I was not convinced about buying the leaf at all. It looked weird and all the popular auto mags did not seem convinced. A friend convinced us to take a second look and we bought it as a second car ... that was four months ago. So far... - The lease + gas is approx the cost of my previous monthly gas bill. I am basically driving a new car for no extra cost. - - I have taken out my gas car about once a month ! I visited my Costco gas station after four months !!! Its comfortable, spacious and very well equipped. I would have preferred to buy the SV with the BOSE + cameras in hindsight. Bottom-line: if you commute < 60 miles / day, buy a leaf - you wont regret it.

100 percent satisfied
By sampsr on 09/02/13 08:01 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

We leased the 2013 SL in June and completely satisfied with the car at this point. They did a great job making it as much like driving a conventional car, which my wife likes. We spent ab out a year thinking about how it would fit our lifestyle and could not think of a single instance were we would be "stuck" without a gasoline motor. I charges quickly with the 240 volt charger. The dashboard technology is great and easy to interpret.

Best Second Car Ever
By carlsbad2 on 08/15/13 10:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

We were tired of paying $ 80 per tank to run around town getting 16 MPG running errands etc. This Leaf is fun to drive and has lots of room I am 6.4 and do not fit with comfort in many cars but the headroom in this is great. After 2.5 months of ownership very happy get 90 mile range on a full charge. Able to charge for free at many Nissan dealers . Fast charger at dealers will get you a full charge in 40 minutes. Electric bill has gone up about $ 50 per month charging up almost every night. I did not purchase the level 2 charger as I can charge overnight in about 12 hours with the 6.6 KW on board charger. Our utility company gives better rates for EV owners if you use off peak power

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback in VA is:

$103 per month*