Used 2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

I am amazed
By Nena Smith

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I was surprised by how much I love this car. I was a bit worried by range but my husband thought since we would save $200-$250.00 in gas a month it was worth a try. Glad He talked me into it. Super fun to drive, great comfort/room and wonderful technology. In 2 weeks I have driven my 2013 Leaf (purchase with 22,400 miles) over 700 miles with no problems. I live in a very rural area but can find plenty of charging stations within 20-30 miles if I need them. IF you live in the city don't even worry about range average driver in USA only goes 22 miles per day. Think about this not only are you not spending on gas but no more taking the car in for oil changes ect. Love my Leaf!

Comfort, Fun to Drive, Technology

A little more range would be great but not really needed.

Don't lease a LEAF!!!
By pangarkar

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

At first when I leased my 2012 Leaf it was the coolest car around. I told all of my friend and before I knew it 6 of my colleagues at work had also leased the Leaf. Man do I wish I'd have waited!!! Now I can't even use the car because of range anxiety. I am getting about 40 miles per full charge for a car that only has about 9000 miles on it. Ridiculous!!! Not even close to the 106 miles on the New car sticker. And yes Range anxiety is REAL- believe me when the meter starts to get near the red mark and you still have about 10 miles to go you get real nervous very fast!! I would NEVER lease another LEAF again.!! Nissan says that this is normal for the car!! Really! 40 miles for a charge!!

Looks cool Otherwise don't waste your money on this car. ITs a Lemon. Get a Tesla or a Prius instead.

Better battery like the Teslas so that you can actually get close to the stated milage on the window sticker.

We love it so far...
By mojobrown

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I'm writing this in January 2015. We bought our 2013 Leaf at the end of May 2014. We overcame the anxiety of buying an all electric car with the comfort that we got a great deal. 7.5 months after buying, we're closing in on 10,000 miles and everything has been fantastic. The car is fun to drive. It's reliable. It's attractive. My kids love the heated back seats. We have a normal mini-van as our second vehicle and we drive it less and less frequently. The Leaf has always provided enough range to go where we want. On only two occasion did we decide NOT to take the Leaf and it's only because we didn't want to pay to charge while we were in downtown Indianapolis. It's a great car.

I love love love that it's an electric car. We have not noticed an increase in our electric bill. I love the pickup when you press the accelerator. It truly feels like you're driving a V-6. I have no problem at all pulling out into heavy traffic. I also love the regenerative braking when we're in "eco" mode. If you practice, you can actually drive the car without using the brakes....well....maybe using them a little. From my perspective, we're saving the brake pads too.

A longer range would be nice, but again, we have another vehicle for family trips. It's interesting to watch your range drop when you turn on the heat or A/C. If there was a way to have those items have less of an impact on range, it would be good. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the vehicle and don't have any suggestions for improvement.

Makes me enjoy driving!
By twoolz

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This is the best car I've ever owned. Front seats are very comfortable. It is whisper quiet even at high speeds, has adequate storage area, seats 4 comfortably. We decided to lease the 2014 because technology is changing and - like a laptop - it could be hard to resell a few years from now. We got the $7500 rebate, a great trade-in on the 2006 Prius and the payments are incredibly low - $183 a month. The quick charger works great and recharges the car in a few hours and the city paid for half of the cost! It's a no-brainer: it's the perfect second car for running errands around town and 90 miles will cover a lot of errands! Love it!!

keep working on expanding battery capacity. That is the holy grail for electric cars!

Getting used to Value!
By john5501

2013 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have owned my Leaf for about 3 yrs now and I still marvel at all the gas, oil, and maintenance dollars I have saved over the years. I also own a Highlander hybrid and it's amazing how much just routine maintenance costs each year. The LEAF still looks new and has not had the first problem. Of course, it would be nice if the range was over 70 miles, but as a 2nd car that is really all I need. From a value standpoint this is one of my best buys. My wife and granddaughters all fit fine in the front and back and it's a great car about town. I charge the Leaf about 95% in my garage and my electric bill is still in the same range as it always was - you would never know I charge a car daily.

No gas, no oil, very little maintenance..

Make the battery more powerful so it can last longer. Also, a little more padding in the drivers seat would be appreciated.