A Connecticut Leaf Owner Speaks
By ctleafowner on
2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)
I am not your prototypical Leaf owner. For one, I live in Connecticut...one of two Leaf owners in the state...I have a long commute (45 miles one way) and, at the moment, I don't have a Level 2 charger where I work (I'm working on that, but the Chevy Volt has made convincing my company to get one very difficult). After a few rookie mistakes (driving 70 mph to work in the cold w/o a full charge), one of which found me driving into my garage with 4 miles of charge left, I have learned to drive back and forth to work with no range issues. The Leaf definitely makes you think about the way you drive and makes you think about your trips before you go anywhere. That being said, I love my Leaf.
Favorite Features
The Leaf is definitely gadget heavy. The shorter answer would be "What aren't my favorite features?" I love the navigation system. The nav system remembers locations where you have charged so you don't have to worry about plugging it into your address book. I love the bluetooth sync with my phone. It comes with 3 months of XM radio which, I hate to say, may actually make me a convert. CarWings is a fantastic gadget that allows you to check the charging progress of your car and turn on the climate control ahead of time (highly recommended). I even like the feature that shows you how efficiently you are driving by growing little trees the better you do. It's fun to challenge yourself
Suggested Improvements
Range upgrades of course would be welcome, but you have to understand what you are getting yourself into before you get this car. The main problem I am experiencing in New England has nothing to do with Nissan or the Leaf. It is the lack of infrastructure and charging stations. Also the lack of education by the general public as to what the Leaf is all about. Companies don't want to put Level 2 chargers in because the technology is too new and anything new spooks all but the most progressive of companies.