High Price, all-electric
By east_coast on
2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)
I bought a Nissan Leaf SL and this review tells the pros and cons. The dealer, KoonÂ’s Nissan in Virginia, would not disclose the costs. Here they are: Standard MSRP = $38,100. Processing fee = $499. Tax = $1,157.97. Filing Fee $10. Business License tax = $72.40. Plates = $105.50. Total Price = $39,944.88, not including floor mats. Honestly, you have to pay an extra $175 for floor mats. The Federal E.Car subsidy of up to $7,500 will come in April (tax return) if you buy or is taken off immediately if you lease. I regret waiting 16 months to pay way too much for all-electric. It seems worth about $20-22k. Other than the price, Nissan proprietary GPS, and no floor mats, it is fun to drive.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive! All-electric, no gasoline!
Suggested Improvements
Include floor mats! Import GPS POI from my Garmin, laptop, etc.
By tharcaps
on 01/15/12 19:26 PM (PST)

Fantastic engineering accomplishment! My wife and I have been enjoying our new leaf for about a month. We have been so happy with it that it has replaced our CR-V as the family cruiser with three child seats stuffed in the back! Its features are excellent: the Nav system is intuitive, the interior is flexible, and it's faster than a 5.7L V8 Sequoya (I blew her off the line this afternoon after she had been tail-gating me up to a stop light. The heated steering wheel is a nice added bonus. The sale price was was MSRP minus $700, which was the best I could find here in Atlanta. after Fed & state rebates, the car cost us about $24k. that's about the same as an Accord or Fusion. The difference, though, is that those cars will burn ~$30,000 in gas over their 200k mile lives; my Leaf will consume about $3,000 over that same lifespan. So in a more complete view of cost, the Accord costs $55,000 and the Leaf cost $27,000 (just considering cap cost and energy cost). All that to drive the coolest car around! And before I forget, it's beautifully silent. It's scarry-silent. Driving home from the dealership, at about 35mph, I noticed a slight ticking. After a minute of worrying, I finally found the source: my watch's second hand! How beautiful! Range? I drive very conservatively and get about 100 miles; my more aggressive wife gets maybe 75 miles, and that's in Atlanta's winter.

By audiofilez
on 02/04/12 01:17 AM (PST)

Since the car is roughly $40K what are the fed and state rebates that reduce it by around $18K? Your analysis is interesting from a cost standpoint.

By marcin
on 04/11/12 12:08 PM (PDT)

yes, if I can get it for $27k, I will buy this car on a way home and trade in my Altima. How did you calculate -$18k?