Great Car!
By afriedma on
2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)
I've only had my Leaf for a couple of weeks, but it is a great car; fun to drive and a novel experience. I just love that I haven't visited a gas station since I got my Leaf. It's got peppy acceleration, a forgiving suspension, good handling, and a comfortable interior. Real-world range is only 75-80 miles, depending on speed, acceleration and climate control/headlight use. As long as that will work for you, the Leaf is a fine choice. We were drawn in by big discounts on 2012 models right now.
Favorite Features
I love the high-tech electronic charging notification, audio, GPS and climate control functions. You can even have the car send you a text when it is fully charged! The GPS also shows you where all the charging stations are out there.
Suggested Improvements
The Leaf only comes with a 120-volt 'trickle charge' cable that takes 20 hours for a full charge. 3rd-party companies can modify the cable to plug into 240-volt outlets that only need 6 hours for a full charge. This should be standard equipment that comes with the car. The Nissan-approved charging station runs $2,000+ with installation, when there are several other options that reduce that price by at least $1,000, with no difference in features or quality. Nissan would have more Leaf customers if they all new this!