2012 Nissan Leaf Electric 1-speed Direct Drive Consumer Review - Environmentally Responsible

2012 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Review

Environmentally Responsible
By chemiedee on

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

A great vehicle with excellent acceleration from a stop, quiet, nice ride and handling, and very much an eye catcher. I've calculated my total cost of ownership over 15 years, 180,000 miles as about $45000. $33000 initial cost after the $7500 tax credit, $5000 in electricity, and $7000 for repairs, tires, and insurance. That is about 25 cents per mile, lower than any conventional vehicle. The mileage is 4 miles per kWh in the city, which at 11 cents per kWh is about 150 MPG. In an area with cheaper electric, and when I get metered service for night charging @7.5 cents per kWh, it goes to over 200 MPG city! The vehicle is fun to drive and has great pickup from a stop.

Favorite Features

Great economy Environmentally friendly (especially in combination with my solar panels) Great acceleration from a stop Low maintenance costs (no oil changes, radiator issues, exhaust system) Good safety rating

Suggested Improvements

I don't really care about all the high tech navigation, audio system, bluetooth, and computer jazz, and would rather save the cost of those by making this even less expensive to own.