7,000 miles in, I would buy another
By skoorbmax on
2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)
Prior to this vehicle I had a 3rd gen Prius. I much prefer the drive of this. The power train is more responsive, and at low speeds the car is much quicker (though no quicker at higher speeds). I am in NY state and have taken this through a winter now. Including winter my average miles/kWh are in the low 3's. 3.9 miles/kWh that EPA claims are quite optimistic. The heat destroys range, as does highway driving. Nonetheless, at 3.2 miles/kWh and at 75% charge efficiency (120V charging) and $.11 kWh I am still about 87 miles per $4.00 in electricity.
Favorite Features
Drives nicely. Sways when under slalom-type conditions, but if otherwise grips very well for what it is under brisk cornering. Acceleration is strong up to 35-40. Is firm on the highway. Also enjoy the various features, heated seat, wheel, blue tooth, push-button start, sat radio. Car boots up amazingly fast; faster than any gas-based car, including the Prius, for impatient types who want to get into gear and going right away. I never let hybrid-haters affect me, but for what it's worth people find this car genuinely interesting.
Suggested Improvements
Heated steering wheel goes in waves of hot to not hot. Very weird, and really annoying. The exterior backup beep is very quiet for occupants of car, but embarrassingly loud for those outside. I wish Nissan would not have this backup beeping. Hitting "ok" on the legal message every single time the car starts is annoying. Heat is acceptable even down to single digit temps, but definitely not hot. Not hot by any stretch. Air Conditioning is very powerful, though.