2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:
5,000 miles and loving it
By jberolo on 10/08/13 12:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I was lucky to find a dealer car with only 3000 miles and still new even though I bought it as used vehicle. There is little I cannot do with my LEAF. I have a pickup truck when I need to drive farther than my LEAF can take me, but honestly I hardly ever need to drive it. The range of the LEAF works for 90% of my daily and weekly driving needs.

Nissan leaf built on a Friday
By richardriver on 06/25/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Bought the lowest price for 28K. After 3 weeks the car left me stranded, the dealer did not know what to do, it took them 8 days to figure it out. Now, after 3 months, the AC failed completely. But other than that is an excellent car for commuting. I do recommend the quick charging package Chademo with 6.6kw 240 charger. If you dont get it you would regret it, Like I did. This gives you more functionality.

Excellent first electric vehicle
By flymia on 04/13/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Have been driving the 2012 Nissan LEAF SV for three months now. So far very impressed and glad to be driving electric. Car is smooth, responsive and has many of the features I would like. My only shortcomings are lack of telescoping steering wheel, poorly designed Carwings telematics with limited functionality, and inability to view % state of charge (2013 model offers this). The car design takes a bit getting used to and offers poor visibility when backing up if not equipped with back up camera. Otherwise a solid choice, great reliability and performance so far. Range varies considerably especially with highway driving drains battery fast (about 65 miles)

7,000 miles in, I would buy another
By skoorbmax on 04/03/13 05:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Prior to this vehicle I had a 3rd gen Prius. I much prefer the drive of this. The power train is more responsive, and at low speeds the car is much quicker (though no quicker at higher speeds). I am in NY state and have taken this through a winter now. Including winter my average miles/kWh are in the low 3's. 3.9 miles/kWh that EPA claims are quite optimistic. The heat destroys range, as does highway driving. Nonetheless, at 3.2 miles/kWh and at 75% charge efficiency (120V charging) and $.11 kWh I am still about 87 miles per $4.00 in electricity.

So far, so good!
By early_adopter on 03/08/13 10:39 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I just purchased a used, 2011 SL Leaf. Such a bargain; they've taken a huge hit in depreciation so I was able to get one with only 4,900 miles for around $18,500. [non-permissible content removed]

The best car we've owned!
By ok778 on 11/17/12 02:01 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

We have a 68 mile daily commute to and from work in cold climate Michigan so we looked at the volt, prius, tdi, among others trying to offset costs of gas. We narrowed our choice to a volt or leaf after test driving cars. The volt was a close second but the Leaf beat it out for the following reasons: the volt managed a meager 30 miles in all electric when driven in temps hovering in the mid 40‘s - this wouldn't even get us half way. The leaf pulled out 82 during same weather. The leaf is larger with seating for 5 and larger cargo area. We liked the Leaf's dash and gauge layout better than the Volt. The leaf is quiet,yet has tremendous torque and really flies off the line. And price

Money Saving Tips
By kool69 on 10/06/12 09:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

When buying the LEAF start off with the lease. This way get the $7500 deducted from the price right away. After that is done, you refinance and buy it. I did this and got my discount right away without waitng. Next, Home Depot has a 240v battery charger online that is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than what is offered anywhere else. If you have a gas dryer use the electrical connection for that circuit and save more money. Driving tip, I have found that following behind large trucks on the highway increases the range considerably. I auctually got the 100mpg when I drove under 60mph when following these trucks

Initial Purchase
By black2green on 05/24/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The vehicle is every thing that I expected from the research that I did. I would rate it higher but I have only had the vehicle for a week so I still want to evaluate the car more before I determine whether there should be an excellent rating or not. Thus far I am continuing to see the advantages of having a EV. I notice many other people driving smaller gas vehicles and it is there second or third vehicle and I wonder why they have not gone EV.

Environmentally Responsible
By chemiedee on 04/14/12 14:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

A great vehicle with excellent acceleration from a stop, quiet, nice ride and handling, and very much an eye catcher. I've calculated my total cost of ownership over 15 years, 180,000 miles as about $45000. $33000 initial cost after the $7500 tax credit, $5000 in electricity, and $7000 for repairs, tires, and insurance. That is about 25 cents per mile, lower than any conventional vehicle. The mileage is 4 miles per kWh in the city, which at 11 cents per kWh is about 150 MPG. In an area with cheaper electric, and when I get metered service for night charging @7.5 cents per kWh, it goes to over 200 MPG city! The vehicle is fun to drive and has great pickup from a stop.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback in VA is:

$103 per month*