2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:
Amazing vehicle front to back
By xando05 on 04/16/13 16:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

What an amazing piece of machinery. I really don't have one bad thing to say about the Nissan LEAF. Nissan really hit the nail on the head with this car. The technology is second to none. It drives a like a dream car. It handles very well and brakes extremely well too. I highly recommend this car all the way around. I look forward to driving the LEAF everyday!!

The problem is NISSAN, not the car!
By patsiefe on 03/29/13 22:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Things to know: You will NOT get the EPA rated distances, especially at freeway speeds, or with the heater on! I am sure this is also true for the Volt. Besides this, the car did well until I got a flat. Remember that the leaf has no spare, and Nissan has not figured out what to do about that. They include a little electric pump and sealant. DO NOT USE THEM!!! It will cost you a fortune! Worst, the car now fails to start, and the dealership has not been able to get an answer in OVER A WEEK AS TO WHY! No car for me! More disturbing is the fact that it is related to the BRAKING SYSTEM , and the computer does not understand that the brakes have been touched!

This car needs a lot of work before ready for driving
By reginaa on 03/07/13 12:50 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

bought a nissan leaf sl 2012 in Sept 2012. Since the purchase I have not been able to rely on the car for transportation to work, home, child's activities or anywhere. My child is afraid that I will be killed in a car accident cause I can't drive the speed limit and return to where I need to go. The car takes more than 16-24 hours to charge 100% and Nissan told me I bought the special edition quick charge that will charge in 20 min, but actually it takes 1 hr 15 min for 83% charge. I contacted Nissan International (NI) and although they are buying back many nissan leafs, they would not deem my as defective and would not repurchase the car.

Electric Wonder
By mikelaw1 on 02/16/13 07:38 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The Leaf has great acceleration up to about 40 mph, because of the high torque of the electric drive, it is only two wheel drive but feels like four wheels drive, maybe because of large wide tires (55 series) and a low center of gravity, Batteries under floorboard have a lot of weight, so it really hugs the road. Keeps the car about forty mph in ECO mode, (slower mode, slower acceleration ) should get you 150+ mile range. It really begins to use up the juice over 50 mph and by 60 to 70 mph range is only about 75. Frost on inside if left outside is a problem requiring defrosting before starting out. It is a really about town car. Most charging stations appear to charge $3 for a charge.

Apotheosis of perfection!
By woodyas on 12/06/12 10:37 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Put off going electric for a plethora of reasons. And hemmed and vacillated on getting the Leaf for about a year. But wow: THIS CAR IS TRULY AWESOME. Hands down...this is the best car I have ever had. And to be able to never put gas in a car again. NEVER! A feeling like no other.

Still great after 11 months
By early74b on 11/06/12 11:53 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

We were on the original resv list from 04/2010, picked up the car at the end of Dec '11. We have about 8K miles now and have been quite happy with it. We're in IL so in addition to the $7.5K fed tax credit they offer 10% IL EPA MSRP rebate and 50% rebate on charger + install. We've averaged about 4.3 miles per kWh (which we pay 6.6 cents per kWh) so very cheap to run. Only maintenance so far is to rotate tires. Car is very, very quiet and smooth ride; so far holding up quite well, no problems at all. We use it on 30 mile daily commutes and 50 to 80 on each weekend day. Heated seats front & back and steering wheel are welcome on cold days!

Great little car
By carguy161 on 11/01/12 18:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

We purchased this car so that we could park our van and only use it for long trips. We use the Leaf in all our 'around town' running. I was pleasantly surprised upon driving the car. It is very quite and rides very good. It seats 5 has all the latest technology and many luxury features such as rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated exterior mirrors. We get around 85 miles per charge. We do not use the 220v charge, but, instead using the 120v charger that came with the car. This isn't an issue for us as we plug it in around 7pm and leave it until 8am which is plenty of charge time.

Great Car!
By afriedma on 10/29/12 15:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I've only had my Leaf for a couple of weeks, but it is a great car; fun to drive and a novel experience. I just love that I haven't visited a gas station since I got my Leaf. It's got peppy acceleration, a forgiving suspension, good handling, and a comfortable interior. Real-world range is only 75-80 miles, depending on speed, acceleration and climate control/headlight use. As long as that will work for you, the Leaf is a fine choice. We were drawn in by big discounts on 2012 models right now.

Passing Gas Stations!
By carlover59 on 08/04/12 21:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Had for over a month and with nearly a 1000 miles, I haven't had to purchase any gas yet for our other car (gas of course, we always drive the Leaf whenever possible). The Leaf feels like a luxury car, not a economy car. Quieter than a Lexus, a smooth ride and based upon the electricity used so far, averaging around 140 mpg equivalent. The city driving range has been around 80 miles which for my daily commute has been good.

A Connecticut Leaf Owner Speaks
By ctleafowner on 02/11/12 17:22 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I am not your prototypical Leaf owner. For one, I live in Connecticut...one of two Leaf owners in the state...I have a long commute (45 miles one way) and, at the moment, I don't have a Level 2 charger where I work (I'm working on that, but the Chevy Volt has made convincing my company to get one very difficult). After a few rookie mistakes (driving 70 mph to work in the cold w/o a full charge), one of which found me driving into my garage with 4 miles of charge left, I have learned to drive back and forth to work with no range issues. The Leaf definitely makes you think about the way you drive and makes you think about your trips before you go anywhere. That being said, I love my Leaf.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback in VA is:

$103 per month*