Used 2012 Nissan Leaf SL Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

love it
By deborah

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I have had my Leaf a little over 2 months and i adore it. If i could change a few things this would of course be the range, i am just starting to adjust to the range anxiety. I work from home so that solves a chunk of range. I have learned a great deal about improving my driving skills in order to save miles! The second thing about the car is the shifter....cant understand why reverse is a forward shift and drive is to the back..lol, am now adjusted to it but was confused in the first week. Third thing is the rear window limited view, i took the rear headrest off and that helped alot. Other than that, the car fits me to a T. I bought mine used at 17,000 miles for 11,500. I feel that was a very nice deal, all though since buying it i have lost 1 battery bar which concerns me.

Amazing vehicle front to back
By xando05

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

What an amazing piece of machinery. I really don't have one bad thing to say about the Nissan LEAF. Nissan really hit the nail on the head with this car. The technology is second to none. It drives a like a dream car. It handles very well and brakes extremely well too. I highly recommend this car all the way around. I look forward to driving the LEAF everyday!!

No gas. No oil. No exhaust. Seating comfort. Great amount of storage for an BEV. Made in Japan(2010-2012). Ride comfort. Braking. Quiet-virtually no noise. Uniqueness. Use of eco-friendly build materials.

-Bluetooth clarity during speakerphone use. -More range. -Electronic rear hatch opening and closing. -Better tires. The Bridgestone Ecopias handle pretty well in the dry and rain conditions, but are pathetic in the ice and snow. -AWD drivetrain

The problem is NISSAN, not the car!
By patsiefe

Things to know:
You will NOT get the EPA rated distances, especially at freeway speeds, or with the heater on!
I am sure this is also true for the Volt.

Besides this, the car did well until I got a flat.
Remember that the leaf has no spare, and Nissan has not figured out what to do about that.
They include a little electric pump and sealant.
DO NOT USE THEM!!!
It will cost you a fortune!

Worst, the car now fails to start, and the dealership has not been able to get an answer in OVER A WEEK AS TO WHY!
No car for me!
More disturbing is the fact that it is related to the BRAKING SYSTEM , and the computer does not understand that the brakes have been touched!

The fact that you put no gas in it.

Correct the lame blown tire system. The little pump cost $350.00 to replace through Nissan!!! It uses a bottle of inflator which cost $110.00 (no joke). The liquid MUST be used to use the pump (WTF??) The liquid WILL ruin the tires pressure sensors ($150.00) so the minimum cost if the tire is repairable of using the pump is about $300.00!! After finding this out the hard way (the pump did not work right as spewed the sealing liquid all over me and the car) and finding out the damage to the pressure sensor I bought instead a "slime" sealer with pump guaranteed NOT to ruin the sensor for $15.00. Lets see, $15.00 VS $300?! You do the math.

This car needs a lot of work before ready for driving
By reginaa

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

bought a nissan leaf sl 2012 in Sept 2012.
Since the purchase I have not been
able to rely on the car for transportation to work, home, child's activities or
anywhere.
My child is afraid that I will be killed in a car accident cause I
can't drive the speed limit and return to where I need to go.
The car takes
more than 16-24 hours to charge 100% and Nissan told me I bought the special
edition quick charge that will charge in 20 min, but actually it takes 1 hr 15
min for 83% charge.
I contacted Nissan International (NI) and although they are
buying back many nissan leafs, they would not deem my as defective and would not
repurchase the car.

Nissan International (NI) 1-800-343-6913, ext 457250, case # 10758220. NI told me to contact the dealer Fred Haas Nissan for trade in. fred haas, Ray R., new car director, valued my car $18,000, and pay off $30,200. Fred haas will only roll the prce of the payments into the next car loan. I need a normal car that will get me to and from work. This car is severely defective and I need NI or Fred haas to buy back the leaf, I can not afford to be so upside down on this car. I have lost many hours waiting for the car to charge, cash and time. I feel the car is dangerous if driven on major highways because if I drive as fast as the speed limit I will use my 16-24 hour charge in less than half hour. NI and Fred haas told me the car could be used to commute 50 miles, but it actually has a commute range of 15 miles. That is a lot of difference. I have had the car in the shop and no reports of battery problems, this is just not quite the design Americans are ready for in EV autos. Please can you help me? Please, I have 3 bosses (3 different locations), 6 doctors, 1 lawyer, 9 RN's, 30 co-workers and many patients I provide care, friends and teachers, school officials, to that will confirm what I am telling you since car purchase in Sept about my change in work hours, moods, range anxiety, days late to work, missed appointments, missed days because car would not make it, car break down in highways and many, many more things since Sept. The public ought to know!!!

driving distance, mileage equivalence and qicker charges

Electric Wonder
By mikelaw1

2012 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The Leaf has great acceleration up to about 40 mph, because of the high torque of the electric drive, it is only two wheel drive but feels like four wheels drive, maybe because of large wide tires (55 series) and a low center of gravity, Batteries under floorboard have a lot of weight, so it really hugs the road. Keeps the car about forty mph in ECO mode, (slower mode, slower acceleration ) should get you 150+ mile range. It really begins to use up the juice over 50 mph and by 60 to 70
mph range is only about 75. Frost on inside if left outside is a problem requiring defrosting before starting out.
It is a really about town car. Most charging stations appear to charge $3 for a charge.

Charge times much less than advertised for me. Heated seats and steering wheel a real plus in winter to save range is heater really uses up electricity for 20112 and before models. Seats very comfortable. SL is worth extra price to get heated seats, steering wheel. High setting on seats is really hot, low was enough for me.

Already being done, for 2013, longer range, better heating.