Good so far.
By pacoug on
2011 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)
I'm in Pennsylvania so I haven't experienced the reduced range that comes from cold winter temps yet. That comes in a couple months. But I can tell you right now this thing makes a much better commuter than I thought it would. My drive to work is about 12 miles, about 30 minutes each way. It works in my life and would work for most urban commuters. I didn't intend for this car to do much duty besides going to work and back; essentially it's the third car. But it's becoming my choice for anything within 20 miles of home--which is most of what I do day-to-day. If this car fits your life you might consider it. I'm still probing the range limits to see what I can and can't do.
Favorite Features
Usable back seat. We are 3 here. Charge implementation. Once your charger is installed it's an easy go keeping the car charged. Low frills. I have a nice Infiniti when I want leather seats and a grand entrance. Don't need any of that in rush hour traffic. Just a working radio that tunes in Hannity and a seat that's reasonably comfy. The quiet is a real bonus. Bottom line: I didn't buy this car because I'm a greenie, eco freako. I bought it because it represents a bottom line improvement in mobility per dollar for me. Would have bought a Versa or a Fit, then calculated the tax savings and fuel cost savings and found this car puts me money ahead.
Suggested Improvements
I would have done just about everything a bit differently--but then I would not have a car to appeal to anyone but me personally. Would have liked a higher riding car like Nissan's own Versa. Nissan sweated the details with this thing. I like what they do and you can tell that every decision was carefully weighed against the goal for the whole car. If this were a second car for us, it would have been a Fit or Versa. As a third car the Leaf is fantastic.