Used 2011 Nissan Leaf SL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

Most Helpful|
Smooth As Silk
By billsea

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I've really enjoyed owning and driving this car, which is now up to 10,000 miles. It is incredibly smooth, quiet and generally effortless to drive. The interior feels large, with plenty of room in the back for adults. The storage area is ample for the around-town usage dictated by the range. The range is occasionally a nuisance, but that's increasingly mitigated by charge stations. When my trips are well within the range, I have fun with the torque and the low center of gravity. So far it's getting about 30 miles per dollar, a fascinating new metric that really puts the sucking sound in the front of our minivan in perspective. (It's five times more expensive to drive that one a mile.)

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet, cheap miles

Suggested Improvements

Could use a better horn, a light in the charge port, and a better menu for browsing songs on USB devices.

No battery capacity warranty leaves owners with worthless cars
By azdre

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The lack of a battery capacity warranty has left dozens of warm-climate owners with cars that are no longer useful, and that are unsellable. There are no dealers in Phoenix, AZ that will take these cars as trade-ins because of the issues with the battery. After getting positive battery care reports, we can travel no more than 50 miles in our car that should go 80-100 miles. Nissan is changing it's story at every turn, and refuses to acknowledge a problem. Google: Real World Battery Capacity Loss, and you'll see the real deal with how Nissan treats it's customers. They do not stand behind this product. They got their 1.4 billion dollar loan, they don't need the LEAF anymore.

Favorite Features

None, a car that can barely just get me to work and back is useless.

Suggested Improvements

Capacity Warranty, Battery Thermal Management, Improved range, More knowledgable sales staff and technicians, truth in advertising.

Welcome to the 21st Century!
By stellarrat

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I've had my 2011 Leaf for a month now. It's my only car. So far I've spent a grand total of $8.10 in electricity to drive 729 miles. In my previous car I was spending $180 a month in gasoline and probably another $50 in maintenance (if you averaged it out per month.) In the NW, off-peak power is $.044 / kwh. So, as you can see it's saving me about $220 / month. I've taken this car to every family event, errand and work daily. Not a single problem with range or anything else. I don't even need the 240v charger. The car is just great all around. Good room, good ride, excellent electronics, and decent handling. Acceleration is very good around town.

Favorite Features

I love the electronics package! The ride is very much like a luxury car and it's quieter than ANY gasoline vehicle I've ever ridden in. Of course, the best feature of all is not paying for gas anymore, ever and no pollution from the car.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, a range increase would be nice, but with the West Green Highway network of DC Fast Chargers this is becoming a non-issue. One other small annoyance, every time I start the car it asks for permission to send data to Nissan. Can't they default that message to YES or NO?

After over a year of ownership
By eniac

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I've owned my LEAF for over a year now and have put just over 10,000 miles on it. The car is still really fun to drive and we've enjoyed every single mile. Everything is still tight, no rattles or wind noise. As for operating costs, I had the tires rotated twice (for fre at Discount Tires), annual battery check at the dealership (also free), and I replaced the cabin filter for $11 and had it detailed on its birthday for $60. Other than $342 in electricity to "fuel" it for the entire year, thats my total costs so far.

Favorite Features

No gasoline, no maintenance, very quite ride, all around fun!

Suggested Improvements

The Nav is awkward, the GUI needs work.

Just Buy It!
By peterhi

2011 Nissan Leaf Hatchback SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I have been driving my Leaf for 1 month, with 1,000 miles. Had a very difficult decision to sell my 2007 Lexus IS250 which I loved, and was worried to be driving an econobox tin can. I have no regrets at all! Believe it or not but it drives just as well as the Lexus, is more quiet, just as smooth, accelerates well, and just feels good to be doing the right thing! I have a 20 mile r/t commute to the office; with side trips, often am driving 35-40 miles which is perfect. I have a gas car for longer drives but rarely use it. Take advantage of tax credits while you can! Nissan put lots of research and money into this vehicle to get it right the first time. Just Buy It!

Favorite Features

Cool start up sounds, Stereo and Bluetooth audio/phone are seamless and high quality, quiet enough that highway speeds allow normal conversation on Bluetooth phone. Love that blue paint, blue dash lights. Lots of rear seat room, adequate trunk space. I have become an eco-snob, looking down on (only) 45mpg hybrids (joke). Does not drive at all like an econo car. corners well and accelerates strongly with instant torque, no sounds, you just see the numbers clicking away as speed increases. Reverse camera is excellent even at night.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be better quality with lumbar adjustments; I installed Wet Okole seat covers. Horn sound is so cute it makes my son crack up! You will learn to love and get used to the "distinctive" design of this car. It grows on you! I live in a rural area. Someday there will be quick charge stations at critical locations to allow recharges on long trips. Until then, I stay fairly near to home and use the gas car for long trips. EVs are the way of the future.