2014 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2014 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Done with Nissan
By mazzaducci

2014 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr King Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x brand new 01/11/14. I have 53,567 miles on it already and will tell you this, never buy Nissan! on board computer-junk, locks up, loses connection with my phone, and the whole "pay attention to the road" sign could not be more irritating! I drive mostly highway, on cruise control...I have NEVER seen 21 MPG EVER!! The most important factor in selecting this vehical. They somehow neglect to inform you when you purchase the truck of all the mileage related "maintenance" that needs performed. In the 15 months I have owned the truck the dealers have soaked me for over $2000.00!! REALLY!!? I still need tires!

Favorite Features

Off road capability, although it could stand a lift and some clearance.Good looking truck, I was super excited when I purchased the truck. The "optional" rack system and tie down system in the bed is handy. The rest of the options, seat warmers, sunroof, etc, are industry standard at this point and though I do like some of them they are nothing special. The rims on the truck are different, not the same thing you see every day.

Suggested Improvements

Stop milking your customers!! Why the need to make the service department a separate "business" is beyond me! I payed less maintenance on my Land Rover! I have an extended 150,000 mile warranty, on a brand new vehicle, can someone explain why i need to sink so much money into it for maintenance?? Back your junk or stop selling them! Service should not be there to generate income, it should only exist to take care of your customers. I've been to 4 dealers, it's the same everywhere, they have been trying to get me to buy tires since I've had the truck for 6 months! Stop being so greedy! You have fleeced this customer for the last time I assure you!

So far...so good
By jay357

2014 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my F150 for the Frontier due to size considerations. I just don't need a full size truck 365 days a year. Maybe twice a year but that's about it. I have about 1500 miles on the Fronty, like the size, styling and acceleration. MPG is only about 16.5 mpg with 75% highway driving. So it's averaging about 1.5 less than my 2wd F150 with a V6. But the engine is still breaking in so hopefully the mileage will increase. More engine noise in the cabin than the F150 but it's not bad. F150 seats were/are way better than the Frontier. The Frontier seats need more thigh support and longer seat bottom.

Favorite Features

Size, acceleration, backup camera is perfect for hitching up trailers. The upgraded audio system will read your text messages to you. Almost $8k cheaper than a comparably equipped Colorado and $4k cheaper than the Tacoma. Good value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats...better seats...better seats!!!!! The center arm rest is too low and too far to the rear. OEM sprayed in bed liner is too thin. I have already scratched it. Line X or Rhino liner is a more durable product. Even with the SV Value package, automatic headlights are not available. Why? Mudflaps should be standard equipment on trucks with tires this large.

Best Value in the Small Truck Segment
By dynamos

2014 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our Frontier about a week ago. Very pleased so far. Ours also has the Value package which includes the bed track system, backup camera and automatic a/c. V6 is smooth and powerful, with excellent acceleration. Interior is comfortable, and feels roomier than the new Colorado. Materials are nice and have quality feel. We like the fold up rear seats, which provide a flat floor with the removable storage bins. Storage in the backseat of the Colorado is not removable. Utility track system is well designed and included spray on bed liner-an excellent value. Comparably equipped Chevy would be much more expensive, and the Frontier has a proven record of reliability.

Favorite Features

Automatic Air Conditioning, nice interior, utility trac system, back up camera, V6 power, bluetooth and iPod integration.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked leather interior to be a stand alone option in the SV trim level. Power seat would be nice in the SV also.

First Mid-sized and Happy
By racrfanny

2014 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've always owned full size Chevy or Dodge p/ups. Now that kids are moved on it was time to downsize. I needed to still have the pulling power to haul a trailer and car, as well as true 4wd (not AWD) capabilities. Looked at the Honda (no locking 4wd over certian speeds) and Toyota (less towing, HP and MPG) and settled for the Nissan. I'm very happy with my choice. Recently towed a Boxter hour and half and couldn't have been happier. The truck towed without hesitation. The power was more than adequate and the ride was great. I hear complaints of fuel mileage but coming from a full size I'm used to it. Currently averaging 17 around town but reached 24 on my last highway trip to Charlotte.

Favorite Features

The power of the V-6 is smooth but always there. Lots of tourque down low. Tows great. The 4wd engages smoothly and pulls hard in mud and snow.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is the transmission is tuned (for mpg) to shift too quickly at around 40 mph. The tranny in that speed and rpm range shifts up and down constantly. I’ve kind of learned how to control throttle and RPM's to limit this but can be annoying when driving over hills in that speed range. This was not a problem while towing as I locked out the overdrive. If my wife drove manual I would have opted for the 6 speed. Could use a re-design of the back seat. It sits too low to be comfortable for longer rides.