Manual midsizes, a lonely club
By chriscmore on
2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)
I chose the Frontier over the Tacoma, because the Frontier is 5% smaller but with a larger bed, and a larger engine with better economy. It's also noticeably a few years fresher in design. I got the now-discontinued PRO-4X with 6sp manual, which had to be shipped from Oregon to Nebraska. The 6sp is a lot of fun, but the reverse gear is hard to find and should have been to the left like German autos. The tailgate extender is nice because it's easy to remove. The bed divider is functional but a bit obnoxious in that it's not an easy one-side affair to move or get out of the way. Love the step rails and tie anchors. The cruise control didn't work and I have an oil leak to have serviced.
Favorite Features
1) Midsize is the perfect size for those that plan on putting it in a garage. The Titan is 30% larger. 2) Extended (King) cab is great for the added utility with a couple small kids, but without sacrificing the main purpose of the truck - the bed. 3) Unless you're using it as an urban commuter, I adore my 6sp manual transmission. This truck does what I tell it to do. 4) The PRO-4X package is great, although I'd do the SV if I had to. I got one of the three last PRO-4X manuals out there. 5) Ride height. Even though this is a 4x4 with an off-road package, the bed is still easy to load. The tailgate is at crotch level and the sides of the bed at armpit level.
Suggested Improvements
Better fuel economy. I average about 18 mpg, which is pretty poor. Fortunately for me, this will be a low-mileage utility vehicle. LED headlamps, because large headlamps already look dated. Build to order. My local dealer wouldn't order a custom configuration for me. When a dealer 3hrs away did, after a month the factory decided not to make it. When the website says "build", allow people who are willing to spend the time and money to get exactly what they want. I almost had to get a Tacoma. This would add cost, but a variable-height air suspension would be amazing in a 4x4 truck.