It's a real work truck
By heiliner on
2013 Nissan Frontier S 4dr King Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I just purchased my 4th Nissan Frontier. I traded in a Nissan D21 that I had for 25 years. My 2013 is a 4 cylinder, 5 speed, S model King Cab. It was priced about $3000 below a similar Toyota Tacoma. The truck has crank windows, no power locks, and no Bluetooth. The first tank of gas I got almost 28 mpg in city and rural driving. On the second tank full I got 25 mpg. The secret is to shift around 2200 rpm. The truck is clunky and dated and simple transportation. For every 100 miles I drive this Frontier I save about $8 over the Tundra parked next to it in fuel costs.
Favorite Features
Far above all other points on this truck is it's fuel efficiency. With the exception of the Tacoma regular cab 4 cylinder there is no other truck as fuel efficient. Many times there is no need for a full size truck, again, the Frontier fits the bill. Finally, purchase price is well below the competition. The truck isn't fancy, it rides like a buckboard wagon, the quality and finish is so so....but dollar for dollar it is a great value. It is a work truck.
Suggested Improvements
Heads Up Dog Owners: the 2013 Nissan Frontier King Cab S Model is NOT dog friendly. There is no option from Nissan to add a slider rear window. Nissan needs to offer a rear slider window option. The 2013 Nissan Frontier does not have Daylight Running Lights and in my opinion it should. Nissan needs Daylight Running Lights as standard equipment. I realize you can't have it both ways but the rear axle ratio is a bit high which gives great fuel economy but also gives weak power starts in first gear. Again, Nissan needs to offer a choice of rear axle gear ratios, one for power and one for fuel efficiency.
By robert_bell
on 05/26/14 19:24 PM (PDT)

Crew cab is more dog-friendly. I made a platform out of 3/4" plywood and covered it with carpet. I fold the seat bottoms UP and place this on the cargo compartments, with a prop in the front. The dog's head is just at window height this way. You might be able to replace the rear window with an aftermarket slider from JC Whitless or something for like a hundred bucks or so, but your dog would prefer the side windows, I think.