Used 2012 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

GreatTruck
By Louis

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr King Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my fourth Nissan Frontier truck. I bought the 2012 por4x and it was not a disappointment . I am going to be trading it in on a new 2016 shortly. The only thing that I don't care for is the gas mileage .I use premium Shell most of the time. I get around 15.5 mpg. But I have noticed that if I run a few highway miles on it ,it tends to get better mileage. It all depends how you treat the accelerator if mileage is in question. . You don't have to "floor it" to pass or keep up with traffic . The v6 is sensitive in that it requires only moderate acceleration. I suggest to anyone who owns one or is considering buying one that they check their tire pressure often as possible. You will get a more comfortable ride if you do.

great truck-- excellent value for the money
By DOUG DREVO

2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr King Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

if you need a back seat to carry passengers do not buy the king cab version-- unless you are hauling small children. The king cab back seat is only good for gear ect--there is no leg room for adults. This trucks has very tight handling and a firm ride. The exhaust noise is louder than my old Mazda B4000 was but Frontier has a much more powerful V-6 and its more fun to drive. Mine is fairly low option model but its well finished inside and out and everything continues to work perfectly. I wanted a Tacoma but basically the same optioned truck in a Toyota was 5-6 grand more-but with only a 4cyliner engine. Next time I might get the crew cab version to have useable back seats but for a weekend work truck the SV King cab does the job. Mileage is about15- 16 in town and 17-19 on the highway--though I have gotten up to 20 hwy running higher octane fuel. The manual climate control systems work ok just a bit of getting use to. The traction control on this truck is wonderful. On snow covered roads with ice you can get by just fine without even engaging the 4WD. The 4WD works just well but this truck (with 150lb of weight in the back does) excellent except in much deeper snow or glare ice when you need the 4 wheel drive. The engine is a joy--smooth and powerful.

damn good truck
By fourthgentexan

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned trucks for thirty years.
As a professional salesman requiring a truck I drove Fords, Chevy's and even the pitiful Dodge.
I prefer Toyota's, but for value you can't beat the frontier.
It was 5k cheaper than the comparably equipped Toyota Tacoma.
The tires that come on the Frontier are crap.
They lasted about 22k, and were outright scary on wet pavement.
After putting Michelin ATX tires on the truck I feel it's among the best vehicles I've had.
Through the recent Ice storm in North Texas I never slid or had a problem getting where I wanted to go.

Rockford Fostgate sound system, tight handling, good looking truck.

automatic AC, Bluetooth enabled stereo, automatic headlights, DRL, one touch up and down power windows.

Convert from a Tacoma-30k miles and going strong
By lasvegas777

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the leather pro-4x model with every option available.
The off road system with locker is fantastic. Thing is very nimble off road.
The cargo system is the best from a factory that I have seen. It is very quite going down the highway. Is the right size living in the city and playing off road. I have taken my son and a friends kids all in car seats and have plenty of room in the back seat. Brakes and the motor feel very solid and have never let me down. On highway at 75-80 expect around 18-19.
Around town Las Vegas is 15 mpg. Towing the max 6k weight will take you down to 7-9 mpg going though mtns.
No warrenty issues and just oil changes to date.

The truck is pretty much unchanged since 2005, but if its not broke, don't fix it. Very reliable and great resale. Best features are: Rockfordfosgate Sound system, cargo system, engine, brakes, hands free calling, and just the right size for 95% of what people normally use trucks for. Off road system is FANTASTIC. Great ground clearance and really good for rock crawling. Does a great job towing large 24 foot 6,000 lb travel trailer, just don't expect anything over 10mpg

The technology in this truck is a bit of a joke. To get an artist selected though the factory Ipod can take a solid 90+ seconds just to get what you are looking for. I bet almost every car in America offers a GPS system, and Nissan did not. The A/C system is also left wanting in the desert heat. My wifes 10 year old Lexus has a a/c system that is leaps and bounds above this new trucks. The heated leather seats are not very forgiving on long road trips. The heated leather seats also do not get very hot. The fuel tank at 21 gallons is a bit short on capacity. I would like to see a 26. Factory BFG t/a tires are garbage. They really should offer them in BFG A/T tries. Much better wear & tractio

Really impressed with this truck!
By rbagnate

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just wanted to say this truck saved me and my family from a semi-truck that had no control(icy roads).
We braced for impact and after the semi hit the rear end, I though we were goners!
After being pushed into the other vehicle and everything was said and done.
My daughter in the back seat with the booster chair and restraints and my wife in the passenger side.
We all came out of this truck unscathed.
The airbags deployed and till this day I am still in Awe!
The truck was a 2011 SL.
I would definitely RECOMMEND this truck to anyone.
Now we have a 2012 Pro-4X...

SAFETY factor, Airbags, Rockford Fosgate system, Looks, Leather package which Toyota doesn't have in the Tacoma.

None