Used 2012 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

damn good truck
By fourthgentexan

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned trucks for thirty years. As a professional salesman requiring a truck I drove Fords, Chevy's and even the pitiful Dodge. I prefer Toyota's, but for value you can't beat the frontier. It was 5k cheaper than the comparably equipped Toyota Tacoma. The tires that come on the Frontier are crap. They lasted about 22k, and were outright scary on wet pavement. After putting Michelin ATX tires on the truck I feel it's among the best vehicles I've had. Through the recent Ice storm in North Texas I never slid or had a problem getting where I wanted to go.

Favorite Features

Rockford Fostgate sound system, tight handling, good looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

automatic AC, Bluetooth enabled stereo, automatic headlights, DRL, one touch up and down power windows.

Convert from a Tacoma-30k miles and going strong
By lasvegas777

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the leather pro-4x model with every option available. The off road system with locker is fantastic. Thing is very nimble off road. The cargo system is the best from a factory that I have seen. It is very quite going down the highway. Is the right size living in the city and playing off road. I have taken my son and a friends kids all in car seats and have plenty of room in the back seat. Brakes and the motor feel very solid and have never let me down. On highway at 75-80 expect around 18-19. Around town Las Vegas is 15 mpg. Towing the max 6k weight will take you down to 7-9 mpg going though mtns. No warrenty issues and just oil changes to date.

Favorite Features

The truck is pretty much unchanged since 2005, but if its not broke, don't fix it. Very reliable and great resale. Best features are: Rockfordfosgate Sound system, cargo system, engine, brakes, hands free calling, and just the right size for 95% of what people normally use trucks for. Off road system is FANTASTIC. Great ground clearance and really good for rock crawling. Does a great job towing large 24 foot 6,000 lb travel trailer, just don't expect anything over 10mpg

Suggested Improvements

The technology in this truck is a bit of a joke. To get an artist selected though the factory Ipod can take a solid 90+ seconds just to get what you are looking for. I bet almost every car in America offers a GPS system, and Nissan did not. The A/C system is also left wanting in the desert heat. My wifes 10 year old Lexus has a a/c system that is leaps and bounds above this new trucks. The heated leather seats are not very forgiving on long road trips. The heated leather seats also do not get very hot. The fuel tank at 21 gallons is a bit short on capacity. I would like to see a 26. Factory BFG t/a tires are garbage. They really should offer them in BFG A/T tries. Much better wear & tractio

Really impressed with this truck!
By rbagnate

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just wanted to say this truck saved me and my family from a semi-truck that had no control(icy roads). We braced for impact and after the semi hit the rear end, I though we were goners! After being pushed into the other vehicle and everything was said and done. My daughter in the back seat with the booster chair and restraints and my wife in the passenger side. We all came out of this truck unscathed. The airbags deployed and till this day I am still in Awe! The truck was a 2011 SL. I would definitely RECOMMEND this truck to anyone. Now we have a 2012 Pro-4X...

Favorite Features

SAFETY factor, Airbags, Rockford Fosgate system, Looks, Leather package which Toyota doesn't have in the Tacoma.

Suggested Improvements

None

Back to nissan :)
By bgarthe

2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Years ago I had pathfinder and 720 pickup and went Jeep for a bit. Our Nissans were great and I am very glad I returned. I recently bought new Frontier crew cab Pro 4x and it is a dream. The styling, power, performance, and features set it apart from the many other brands considered and researched. It helps that the local dealership has such great service dept. It is quiet, has a nice music package, moonroof (my first), and handles really well. I think the safety features are a sure plus. Mileage is ok, but is sure to get better as she ages. I had my Jeep for twelve years and look forward to at least that with this truck.

Favorite Features

I really like the four wheel switch, interior comfort, controls, and visibility. The radio volume and station controls are nice on the steering wheel. One real fine comfort issue is the arm rest on the door....not too high or low. The jack and arm are within easy reach and the doors close real nicely, not w a bang. I wanted the sunroof, so got the leather pkg. I am impressed with the seat ride and the lumbar support is perfect for me. I like the ride for general driving and can't wait to visit TN and AZ for some off road trips this summer. I used it on snowy roads and was very impressed w how it handled in4x4 mode. This buyer is totally impressed so far and would recommend it to all.

Suggested Improvements

It is too early with this truck to offer suggestions at this time, but will if needed later on. The fuel mileage could be a tad better, but one cannot have it all and the truck is bound to get less than a car or 4 cyl one. I do need to tow the boat to WI as well.

moved up from 2004 xe
By darmonx

2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

impressions coming from 2004 frontier xe. power. step on the gas like i did on the '04 and the tires would spin. had to learn how to ease down a bit but i like that power. noise in the cabin is greatly reduced, i could actually hear the radio at low volume. the ride is alot smoother as well. comfort level compared to the 04 makes me want to take a nap while driving if thats possible while the older one kept me awake for sure with the wind noise and bumpier ride.

Favorite Features

small size, horsepower, and value. its less expensive than other equally equipped trucks.

Suggested Improvements

touch interface on blue tooth calls instead of voice activated. it is difficult to use.