NIssan will roll backwards
By Ken NH on
2011 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr King Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
In July I purchased a new 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X4 . With the new purchase I quickly discovered that when stopped on a hill, while in drive, the vehicle rolls backwards. It will similarly roll forward if in reverse and stopped when backing up. I now know there is a “Hill start assist” that allows the driver to stop on an incline, release the brake and not roll back for two seconds.” But after two seconds the vehicle rolls as if in neutral and will roll backwards unimpeded. Some assist. As effective as the Emperor’s New Clothes. Unaware of this “assist” I reported the problem to the dealership and I was told when on a hill I would have to “two pedal it.
Suggested Improvements
I contacted the Nissan North America consumer affairs department and asked “Why does Nissan think that a transmission design that has their vehicles rolling backwards (or forwards) when on hills is acceptable? warning to consumers/owners?” After three months I am for an answer.
By godeacs
on 03/15/11 23:02 PM (PDT)

So tell us, how does the vehicle drive? You seem hung up on something that is not a problem to others (and you mention it happens in a Toyota Tacoma too!). Just where do you live - on the side of a mountain?

By 604doc
on 09/16/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

Two seconds is plenty of time to move your foot from the brake to the gas. Pretty much every auto transmission out there will "roll back" on a hill.