2011 Nissan Frontier S Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2011 Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Sort Reviews by

Great truck
By mark383

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 Prerunner and never really liked it. It was way too sensitive to any wind. It took a tight grip on the steering wheel to keep it on the road on a windy day. If it had been windy the day I test drove it, I would never had bought it. The Frontier drives great on windy days and very little wind noise compared to the Tacoma. It rides better, gets better fuel mileage, better transmission and has more power. The only gripe is the interior scratches easily and the turning radius is not as tight as the Tacoma. I went from a truck I hated to a truck I love to drive. That says it all.

Favorite Features

Styling, size, ride and power.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior, move the console armrest toward the front and improve the turning radius.

Love my Frontier!
By dafowler88

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Frontier PRO-4X in Jan '12 for $26,500. It was a slightly used 2011 model with 5700 miles. I couldn't be happier. The only thing I have had to do to it after putting 20k miles on it is change the battery which was replaced under warranty. The gas mileage is my only gripe, but I can live with that as I only have a 5 mile drive to work both ways (average 15.8, mostly city driving). I went with the Frontier over the Tacoma and F150 V6 mostly becuase of value but also because I just think it's a much better looking truck than either of the latter two. The 4-wheel drive system is second to none (Maybe Jeep, I suppose). It has great get-up.

Favorite Features

Locking rear dif. 4-wheel drive system. Sound system is great! Well built bed tie downs, I use all the time. Towing capacity, 6500lbs. Heated Seats and mirrors. Auto-dimming rearview mirror. Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Give the PRO-4X a little more stock ground clearance. Make the front windows Auto up & Down; drivers side is auto down only. Would be nice if they could somehow improve the city MPG without losing any of the smoothness or power. These are all pretty nit-picky items. Great truck for the money.

Great value - horrible turning radius
By liberator1

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SL 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As with everyone else, I was shopping the Tacoma while shopping the Frontier. I can say I will never buy a Toyota simply because they don't want to negotiate their vehicles. The Tacoma did not offer many of the ammenities of the Frontier such as leather, auto seats, etc. The Frontier offers much more bang for the buck. The only thing I don't like is the horrible turning radius of the vehicle. You can't even make a u-turn on a 4 lane road without having to make a 3 point turn. An F-150 turns sharper than this smaller truck. Other than that, it rocks!

Favorite Features

Leather, blue tooth, power.

Suggested Improvements

Turning.

Best truck on the road
By feyded1020

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove the Tacoma and the Frontier both considerably to compare, and the ultimate winner as far as price goes and value, is the Frontier. The Tacoma has a weaker engine, the bed is flimsy, as well as the frame that the truck rides on, its not a fully boxed frame(Only HALF of the truck is semi boxed, the rest is just open framed) like the Frontier(every respectable truck manufacturer uses fully boxed frames for a reason, they are more rigid and provide better towing #'s). On top of all this, the Frontier rode better, offered way more power and way more features for less money. Overall the Tacoma didnt hold up when side by side to the Frontier.

Favorite Features

Spacious, 4x4 capability, smooth ride, ergonomics, ease of use, quiet cabin, comfy seating, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage(expected it to be moderate though)

Another Prior Tacoma Owner
By mc929

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Crew Cab and feel that the Frontier overall is notably better than the Tacoma. My Tacoma was a six speed manual and the best fuel economy I observed was eighteen. I have consistently got better than nineteen out of the Frontier and have gotten as good as twenty one mpg around town. I think the ride quality on the Nissan is vastly better and the cabin is notably quieter than the Tacoma. I think the power from the Nissan is better as well. However, turning radius as well as ground clearance and approach and departure angles I believe were much better on the Tacoma. Build quality on the Frontier also seems to be top notch. Reliability a non issue.

Favorite Features

1. Reliability perfect to date (22,000 miles) 2. Comfortable seating up front. 3. Great view of the road. 4. Lots of functional storage to include two glove boxes and under seat stow bins. 5. Smooth and quiet ride. 6. Have been consistently getting nineteen mpg around town. 7. Lots of power 8. Good steel bed tie down system (not plastic like Tacoma) 9. Good stereo sound (for a pickup)

Suggested Improvements

1. Turning radius 2. Ground clearance

Better than a Tacoma
By danwatson

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned an '04 Tacoma Crew Cab that I was never going to get rid of. Very reliable and functional. Then I moved to the Eastern Sierras and needed 4WD. I quickly narrowed it down to a Tacoma and Frontier. Chose the Frontier because of better pricing an appearance. I''ve had it for10 months and nearly 13,000 miles. There has not been a problem. 4WD works great in the snow and I just got back from a hunting trip in Wyoming where I was off road for a couple of hundred miles. Even needed 4WD low and it went everywhere I needed to go. I'm very satisfied with the Frontier. It's my first Nissan truck (I used to own an Infiniti). I owned an 88 and 04 Toyotas and this is better than either.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable driving position. Good visibility. Powerful engine and smooth transmission. Appearance is subjective, but I find it good looking. 4WD works very well in snow and off road. So far, after 13,000 miles, reliability is great.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is not very good. Gas mileage could be better. A full size domestic truck gets as good. The back seat is not comfortable for long trips. The seat back is upright. It's got good, flexible storage in the back seat area which is nice to have.

PRO-4X
By kipster85

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck, first "straight-from-the-factory" purchase, and first Nissan. 8k miles & 8 months later, I'm very happy overall with this vehicle. I naturally looked towards the Tacoma first since my buddy had one, but the price was steep. I then test drove the PRO-4X and I was highly impressed with the ride quality and handling both on and off road. The mpg does hurt if you drive in a slow speed town, but not too bad for highway travel. I've done everything with this truck except towing and mudding, and it runs beautifully.

Favorite Features

I love the built in Bluetooth and Aux input feature. The interior is built to handle abuse; no tears, scratches, or sheers with my 2 dogs in the back. The fold-down seatbacks and the fold-up seats allow me to hold all my tools, towing, and repair equip with ease. The speaker system is awesome! Even though I can have a ton of fun off-road, it's cool that my truck becomes the party truck while in the city with the speakers and subwoofer. 4WD and the VDC disable switch makes offroading a blast. The factory bedliner and rails are excellent and hold up to abuse quite well. 4.0L V6 is pretty awesome, lots of torque and power. I also love the wheels and the spacy glove compartment.

Suggested Improvements

Built in sensor or rearview camera would be good for tight parking quarters and parallel parking. Rear seating is a bit tight, can only fit 2 adults comfortably and there's not much legroom. Offer a color-matched camper top as an option when building/purchasing this vehicle. Armrests for the front seats would be nice for long drives. If the engineers could find a way to bump up the mixed MPG by 2, that would be awesome... the new Ford V-6 has raised the bar and I think Nissan needs to meet or beat that. Bring the V6 diesel to the states!

Pro-X
By 604doc

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I needed/wanted a smallish pickup, and had it narrowed down to this, and the Honda Ridgeline. After driving it, and considering the $3,000 rebate, I went with the Frontier. There seems to be plenty of power, and it rides very well, absorbing bumps quietly. The turning radius is a bit wide, but I'm coming from a VW, so I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. The seats are very comfortable, with the driver's seat having 8 way adjustment, and lumbar support. Mileage is a bit low, averaging 14.7 around town, but I expect it to improve as it breaks in.

Favorite Features

Tie down system in the bed, factory applied spray- on bed liner.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo sounds great, but display could use improvement. For example, when listening to XM radio, you can't see the station, artist, and song all at the same time. You have to push a button to see each one separately. Dual climate control, or at least auto temp control would be nice.

2011 Frontier Crew CAB SL
By glockamole

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SL 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Toyota Tacoma Doublecab TRD Off-Road, which I loved. I reluctantly traded for a car. When I came to realize I couldn't handle not having a truck, I began looking for a Tacoma or Frontier. When it came down to price and creature comforts, the Nissan Frontier was, hands down, the best choice for me. Toyota dealer was barely willing to negotiate with me on the price of a Doublecab 2WD. I ended up with my frontier, which has leather, sunroof, heated seats, nerf bars, bed extender, XM, and roof rack for roughly $4,000 less than the comparable Tacoma I was looking at. Ride and capabilities are every bit as good and it looks great. The only thing I miss is the back up camera in the Tacoma.

Favorite Features

Leather, XM, sunroof, heated seats, appearance, comfort, and great ride.

Suggested Improvements

Rear view mirror integrated back up camera.

Better Value than a Similarily-Equipped Tacoma
By bpm2348

2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned a Tacoma Pre-runner (2008) and now a Frontier. The Frontier has more power, is more comfortable, a better value, and rides more like an suv than a truck. I liked my Taco as well, but the seating position seemed weird and I am not a big guy. It seemed like my legs were a lot closer to the steering wheel in the Taco than the Frontier. The Frontier's seats are also a lot more comfortable. I like Tacomas, but the Frontier is just a better value and it was a lot easier to work a deal on one than on a Tacoma.

Favorite Features

Audio system, Auto-dimming mirror, engine power, seems refined, smooth ride, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

As stated in other reviews, extend the arm rest out toward the dash about 2 more inches. Also, the 12vdc plug under the glove box is in a very bad position as it can easily be "bumped" by a passenger and break the plug. The SV package should include a sunroof option (for more $). I also do not like the rails that are installed on the floor of the bed, as I will never use them and pine straw and leaves get stuck under the rails. The power steering could have a little more "power." Air conditioning is not as cold as my previous Honda or Toyota under similar weather conditions.