Used 2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Fullsized Midsize
By mossinit

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE 4dr King Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The drive train on this truck is rock solid. The 4.0 begs to be revved but still has surplus power off idle. I optioned the 6 speed manual that came mated to a Dana 44 rear axle, heavy duty stuff for a midsized truck. I have used my truck extensively off road in the Adirondacks and found its size ideal for mountain fire roads.

Favorite Features

Engine, drive train, looks, 6 speed, Dana rear-end

Suggested Improvements

People have complained about the plastic interior. I find this a non- issue as it is easy to clean and won't tear or rip. I installed an AirAid cold air intake and throttle body spacer and improved my mpg by 4 to 23 CTY 27 HWY while increasing power.

After 5500 miles...
By Pat Mc

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab Nismo 4dr King Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove this new truck from Seattle to Anchorage, AK and overall really liked the performance and ride even at 80 on gravel and rocks. The mileage was good on the hiway, but now in town it's far less than it's rating of 15MPG, if the on board MPG gauge is to be believed. Faults: Oil is a major pain to change especially due skid plate, dipstick is flimsy and hard to insert, visors are loose, rear headrests obstruct vision, cant open door from back. Wiper needs variable control- needs interval between 1 & 5 sec. Windshield seems to have coating, (anti glare?) that is now full of scratches and wont clean up. No aftermarket rims for snowtires available, Nissan steel wheels are $275 ea! OUCH

Favorite Features

Great ride, sturdy feel. Impressive response from the automatic, I've driven a stick for 30 years. Bed rails are great for lashing down gear. Bilstein shocks worth the extra due frost heaves and potholes in Alaskan roads.

Suggested Improvements

Make oil filter more accessible, the engineers must hate mechanics. Improve gas mileage or don't lie about it. 13 MPG city driving with this 4.0 engine is a crime. Offer a Crew cab with a 6' bed, Toyota does. Make rear seat belts fit better, my kids fall out of them when we corner.

Tacoma vs Frontier
By Mike

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab LE 4dr King Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 3 months of comparing these two vehicles, the Frontier won! It cost much less than the Tacoma, it has more "git up and go", and has a more solid ride verses the bouncy feel I sensed in the Tacoma. I figured that the Frontier has far more horsepower and torque per pound in comparison to the other trucks. As an added bonus, my first round trip in the Bay Area freeways resulted an average 24.6 mpg on regular gas! City driving cuts into it at about 18.5 mpg. Though I miss the compass/temp read-out feature, the balance of the dashboard is laid out very thoughtfully. Some say that there's too much plastic in it but it's my work truck, who cares!

Favorite Features

MPG, power, and ride. It handles and turns quite well. I love the 17" tires on the LE. I think you get the most "bang for your buck" on this truck! By the way, I'm a former Chevy Silverado 2500 owner. I loved the big truck but not its gas mileage. I'm finding the downsizing to be no problem!

Suggested Improvements

Temp/compass feature, spray-on liner on rear gate, brighter vanity mirror lights, and perhaps a flatter surface on top of the console in-between the seats. Things which may make this vehicle nicer but things I'll do fine without!

Nice!
By marioh

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE 4dr King Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first NEW truck! I love Nissan. The way it drives, the security I feel when I'm driving it. This is my daily driver, and I don't mind putting miles on it. (OK mileage, and fun to drive). To and from work, and use it on the weekends to go places with the family. I love the fact that I can use it as a truck, or family vehicle. Work and play. Nice... Definitely a KEEPER!!!

Favorite Features

Utility-track system, front chrome accents, tough-built look and body shape, cabin gives you a roomy-large truck feel.

Suggested Improvements

mileage, but I love the way it runs and responds to my heavy foot when I step on it, so I will sacrifice!

great little big truack
By Paul

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I was amazed the 2006 was so much bigger and better made than my old 2004. Although the truck is bigger phyiscally it gets better gas mileage than the 2004. I love the shifter on the console better than on the column. Plus this model has cruise control the 2004 did not. Interior is about 4 inches wider and longer and very roomy. 2 jump seats with the rear doors make this vehicle great to carry extra people when needed. Nissan rethought the concept of how a truck should be.

Favorite Features

Extra room interior, the 4 doors, shift on the floor(console), cruise control, over all a larger vehicle