Used 2006 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

The Last Nissan I'll ever buy!!!
By ineedatoyota12

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My engine light came on at 93K miles. I took it to the dealer they said they had to replace the catalytic convertor that cost me about 1K dollars. Within a week Iím driving down the road and loose power. I canít go any faster than 20 or so mph and my engine light never even comes on. I should have marked my cat because it sounds like to me they never replaced it. How can a new cat fowl out that quick? Even if I was burning pure oil it would take longer than that to get blocked.

Saves me gas because I'm not able to drive it.

Learn from Toyota.

Transmission mismatch
By porsche

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl. has little power, the truck weighs a lot. the gearing is poor for the engine powerband, gears are to tall, shifting puts you too low in the next gear/lugging badly. if the trans had 6 gears instead of five it may work. gas mileage at 20-21 mpg is poor for such a gutless power-plant. get the 6 cyl. and power is great and you will get 18-19 mpg.

cheap price

see above- better trans match to power-plant

2.5 L gutless wonder
By porsche habit

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The most BASIC/cheapest xe, 4 cyl. Engine and trans are not a good match. Power and torque below 2500 rpm is terrible. Gas mileage with gas here in Hawaii is only 21 mpg. But again our fuel is 10% ethanol so straight gas would give you about 10% better average, so that would be about 23 mpg. It is a very heavy truck so the 4 cyl. Has to work hard and the mileage shows. The gear ratios are wrong, you have to wind it out or when you upshift it bogs down badly. A six speed would be more appropriate. Drives well, good brakes, BASIC interior, great reliability, good value for the buck. My friends with the same truck but 6 cyl. Love the power they got on tap but 6 cyl. Mileage is only 18 mpg.

price, reliability

proper engine and transmission mating

14,000 cluth burned out
By jerrygarner

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I see another review, his clutch burned out at 12,000. Very unhappy, very difficult to see when backing up, had to remove headrest. Very sorry about this purchase, very unhappy with many factors. go back a second time before you buy, I should have listened.

Really nothing, dread waiting for something else to go wrong.

Clutch! vision read and sid, feels like a mini0truck inside, cumbersome due to length and poor visual construction, don't buy a Nissan

Great Functional Truck
By Ken

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage for mid-size truck, got 25mpg in mixed driving on the first tankful. Ride is quiet and smooth and has plenty of space all around. Not fancy but has all the basic features available as options.

Gas mileage.

Turning circle is a bit large so parking is a chore. Too bad all the "compact" trucks have moved up in size to mid-size. Tailgate is quite heavy too. Spray on bedliner with adjustable tiedowns not available on XE.