Used 2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Mixed Feelings
By kevymckev

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE 4dr King Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been the sole owner of my 06' SE Frontier since it rolled off the lot in July of 06'. The truck had a great V6 power & solid comfort and excellent affordability.My opinion changes after a serious accident with this truck. The key benefit was how well this truck absorbed a major collision. The truck immediatly lowered and reduced the impact i felt..preventing serious injury on my part. I love this truck for that.I have lost 100 miles to the tank of gas. Pre-Accident i was getting 350 miles per tank. Now i only get a meager 250. The power of my V6 has been reduced drastically.I have also replaced the battery 4 times with this truck. Only 100,000 miles on it.This truck had potential

The Last Nissan I'll ever buy!!!
By ineedatoyota12

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My engine light came on at 93K miles. I took it to the dealer they said they had to replace the catalytic convertor that cost me about 1K dollars. Within a week Iím driving down the road and loose power. I canít go any faster than 20 or so mph and my engine light never even comes on. I should have marked my cat because it sounds like to me they never replaced it. How can a new cat fowl out that quick? Even if I was burning pure oil it would take longer than that to get blocked.

Favorite Features

Saves me gas because I'm not able to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Learn from Toyota.

Transmission mismatch
By porsche

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl. has little power, the truck weighs a lot. the gearing is poor for the engine powerband, gears are to tall, shifting puts you too low in the next gear/lugging badly. if the trans had 6 gears instead of five it may work. gas mileage at 20-21 mpg is poor for such a gutless power-plant. get the 6 cyl. and power is great and you will get 18-19 mpg.

Favorite Features

cheap price

Suggested Improvements

see above- better trans match to power-plant

2.5 L gutless wonder
By porsche habit

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4dr King Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The most BASIC/cheapest xe, 4 cyl. Engine and trans are not a good match. Power and torque below 2500 rpm is terrible. Gas mileage with gas here in Hawaii is only 21 mpg. But again our fuel is 10% ethanol so straight gas would give you about 10% better average, so that would be about 23 mpg. It is a very heavy truck so the 4 cyl. Has to work hard and the mileage shows. The gear ratios are wrong, you have to wind it out or when you upshift it bogs down badly. A six speed would be more appropriate. Drives well, good brakes, BASIC interior, great reliability, good value for the buck. My friends with the same truck but 6 cyl. Love the power they got on tap but 6 cyl. Mileage is only 18 mpg.

Favorite Features

price, reliability

Suggested Improvements

proper engine and transmission mating

Not like they used to be
By xcars

2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab Nismo 4dr King Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning this truck for a couple of days we knew we made a mistake. This truck gave a horrible ride on the back roads. It actually made us sick. Gas mileage was horrible. Also, we couldn't wait to get rid of it so after 2 mos. We traded it in for a Dodge. They gave us a good deal thank god we have also heard these trucks are costly for repairs, a lot of people we know who had Nissan frontiers didn't keep them very long for this reason, if you buy make sure to get a 3 day money back guarantee, I will say we got all our money back and plus on trade. Good luck.

Favorite Features

sharp looking truck

Suggested Improvements

I don't think they can do anything for the 2006 model now