2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Great truck, BUT...
By emg8160 on 08/04/14 20:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Frontier from an individual via Craigslist with 108k miles. I loved it for the 2 months I could drive it. Then, the tranny went out. Come to find out, this is common and Nissan never issued a recall. I found someone local who would install a re-manufactured tranny and new radiator (included all labor and fluids) for $4,000. I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my truck back because their "parts people" from Chicago had originally gotten the wrong parts number for the tranny and are now waiting for a solenoid so they can complete the rebuild... I am now in the position that (if I ever get the truck back) I have more in it than it's worth so I HAVE to drive it now...

Avoid NISSAN!
By cghoffpauir on 10/25/12 08:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed. We had it towed to the dealership and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00. We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00. So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the “defect” and knows exactly what to do to repair it.

2006 Nissan Frontier
By aolaniesene on 02/07/11 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a Nissan because we believed in it's superior quality. We believed that we would have a truck that would easily last us 10 years. However, after just 4 years - and almost nearing to paying off this truck's loan - we experienced what other forums show is a common manufacturer defect. At high mileages, Frontiers may experience a break in its radiator, causing coolant to mix in with transmission liquid. Even though we have been excellent Nissan clients, bringing in our Nissan for regular servicing to ensure it lasts long...we've been hit by this defect. So, the non-reward for taking care of our truck is having recently paid approx. $6k..

Overall I love this truck
By Seth on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for nearly two years. I bought the truck with only 15,000 miles on it, and I now have 55,000 miles on it. The only repair I have had done to it was the timing chain tensioners/guides, but they were covered under warranty without question. In my opinion that was a poor design. However, everything else on the truck is perfect. I replaced the BF Goodrich tires with Michelin ltx ms tires because I do not drive off road. I hear people complain about gas mileage, but I get 17.5 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. In my opinion that is excellent for a truck with this much horsepower. The handling is excellent, I drive 50 miles daily on paved mountain roads and I love the handling.

Rides sporty & hauls great
By ZLOVER on 08/01/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab LE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

LE with sunroof, automatic. Every option except limited slip,which with all the low end torque will squeal off the line too easily.My other car is a 350Z roadster. Bought with 50k and now at 85.000 miles. Using synthetic oil. Zero repairs and same tires.Will need brakes soon.Hit from behind while stopped by a Honda suv at 30 mph. Honda destroyed. Need a bumper and tailgate.

Great Truck 2006 CREW 4.0 2 WD
By wayne on 07/23/10 13:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive about 13k miles a year, bought used last year from original owner. It had 50,000 miles when I got it, it has now 67,000. Just put new front brakes on last month. Put new tires on yesterday. Original BF Goodrich long trails had 67k miles. I mainly use to commute to work, we do live in Fla and own a 3,500 lb boat that I pull a lot on the weekends. Pulls with no problem. Good truck if you don't mind the smaller cab and not much of a back seat. Overall, I have not had one problem. Just make sure cab has enough room for you. I was used to driving a Tundra.

Nissan service is horrible
By ray fitzgerald on 07/02/10 10:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a fuel gauge issue on my truck repaired by me mechanic using Nissan parts I received a recall letter a week later. In order to reimburse the bill Nissan insisted on reworking the recall issue, The rework has been done three times and is still not correct. I have been on the phone with Nissan service and consumer affairs they never call back and have do not check or follow up on their work.

Just a great truck
By Pioxen on 04/05/10 21:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my 2006 Nissan Frontier in November 2008. Haven't had a single problem with it. I drove over black ice and hit the center barrier damaging the front end and rear driver side. Minimal repair cost and no frame damage...what a tough truck. I'll drive it till the wheels fall off!!!

Great Truck Good Value
By Ohio Frontier on 03/30/09 06:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought a USED 2006 NISMO 4x4 38000 miles. On the drive home 21 MPG at about 70 MPH cruise control. Around town 15.6 MPG. I was concerned that the truck was going to be too stiff with the 4x4 and NISMO package. However it is very smooth to drive on pavement with low road noise and sturdy feel. Happy with my purchase everyone should look at this truck if you want a mid size. The Tacoma had a bad seating position for long trips and the domestic trucks just don't measure up. This is my first Nissan and so far so good.

Pretender
By Morris on 01/25/09 09:24 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Nissan Frontier does not deserve to be rated near the top of this class. I wish I would have gone with a Toyota or even the Chevy. The build quality on the Nissan is average at best and the engine is very sluggish for supposedly having over 260hp. The gas mileage is poor for a compact pickup, I used to get better from my full size. This truck doesn't come close to measuring up to a Toyota in any way, and I would even rate the Chevy a better truck for the money. I would not recommend this truck to anyone.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.