Used 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great truck, BUT...
By emg8160

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Frontier from an individual via Craigslist with 108k miles. I loved it for the 2 months I could drive it. Then, the tranny went out. Come to find out, this is common and Nissan never issued a recall. I found someone local who would install a re-manufactured tranny and new radiator (included all labor and fluids) for $4,000. I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my truck back because their "parts people" from Chicago had originally gotten the wrong parts number for the tranny and are now waiting for a solenoid so they can complete the rebuild... I am now in the position that (if I ever get the truck back) I have more in it than it's worth so I HAVE to drive it now...

The body style is very cool looking. I arctic white is a great color. The bed hooks can be moved to accommodate for most things I'm hauling. The truck has incredible power/towing capacity for it's size. Although many knock it for it's bland/plastic interior design, I think it's rather sleek and pretty comfortable. The gas mileage is very good too. It's really too bad I had to endure this terrible transmission problem... I was considering another Nissan product for my wife to drive, but now I won't even give it a second thought.

Nissan should have done the right thing and issued a recall on the transmission/ radiator issue when it first became apparent. Instead, they ignored it and many people are paying for it. I will not buy another Nissan product. Period.

Avoid NISSAN!
By cghoffpauir

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed. We had it towed to the dealership and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00. We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00. So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the “defect” and knows exactly what to do to repair it.

However one of the parts needed MUST be ordered from Nissan. So he ordered it, we waited two weeks when it came in it was damaged damaged and couldn’t be used. So the owner of the shop called Nissan and reported the damaged part and was told that a new one would be sent out and when he received the new one to return the damaged one and that we should receive the new one in seven to ten days. That conversation was on 10/3/2012. Last week (10/17/2012) he called to check on the part because he hasn’t received it yet and was told they are on backorder now and they can’t give him a ship date.

He was told that there are 27 on backorder and in that list we are number 10 that it could be seven to ten days or it could be a month. WOW such wonderful customer service! I will never buy another Nissan product and I will make sure that everyone I know or who ever will listen won't buy a Nissan either.

2006 Nissan Frontier
By aolaniesene

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a Nissan because we believed in it's superior quality. We believed that we would have a truck that would easily last us 10 years. However, after just 4 years - and almost nearing to paying off this truck's loan - we experienced what other forums show is a common manufacturer defect. At high mileages, Frontiers may experience a break in its radiator, causing coolant to mix in with transmission liquid. Even though we have been excellent Nissan clients, bringing in our Nissan for regular servicing to ensure it lasts long...we've been hit by this defect. So, the non-reward for taking care of our truck is having recently paid approx. $6k..

...for a new radiator & transmission. Beware. Favorite features: Used to be our favorite that this was a Nissan. Our hope and trust in the Nissan brand - because of this experience - has diminished significantly.

We recommend that Nissan take a good long hard look at inspecting & testing their vehicles before selling them on the market. Don't sell a vehicle that consumers think will last a long time, but ends up cutting them short. And please don't offer a recall that applies to vehicles that "may experience a radiator crack @ high mileages," but only allow the recall to apply to vehicles of 80,000miles or less. This is very contradictory & completely not in favor of winning return clientele.

Overall I love this truck
By Seth

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for nearly two years. I bought the truck with only 15,000 miles on it, and I now have 55,000 miles on it. The only repair I have had done to it was the timing chain tensioners/guides, but they were covered under warranty without question. In my opinion that was a poor design. However, everything else on the truck is perfect. I replaced the BF Goodrich tires with Michelin ltx ms tires because I do not drive off road. I hear people complain about gas mileage, but I get 17.5 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. In my opinion that is excellent for a truck with this much horsepower. The handling is excellent, I drive 50 miles daily on paved mountain roads and I love the handling.

The power and Brakes, I have put 55,000 miles on original brake pads and they still look new with nearly 3/4 pad thickness. 265 Horsepower is more then enough to power this truck quite well. I love the way the engine sounds and performs.

Redesign the timing chain guides/tensioners.

Rides sporty & hauls great
By ZLOVER

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab LE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

LE with sunroof, automatic. Every option except limited slip,which with all the low end torque will squeal off the line too easily.My other car is a 350Z roadster. Bought with 50k and now at 85.000 miles. Using synthetic oil. Zero repairs and same tires.Will need brakes soon.Hit from behind while stopped by a Honda suv at 30 mph. Honda destroyed. Need a bumper and tailgate.

worlds best v6 17 years in a row jd powers.Always runs cool.

Highway mileage up to 25 on cruise at 70 mph. 16-17 mpg stop and go.