Used 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Solid Performer
By Dave Mccormack

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab LE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Solid mid sized truck. A few niggling could improve it but they are not substantial issues to ownership. Headlights are poor and road noise could be dampened more.

Hand-me-down first car
By Tyler

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab LE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is my very first, and it was my father's since new. He used it to commute 70 miles round trip a day. I currently have just over 178k on it. Overall, this truck has served me really well! It's really quick off the line, and it does require getting used to how touchy the throttle is. I spun the tires quite a bit until I got used to it. The steering inspires you to throw the truck into corners and bends, and it's nicely weighted. As far as the interior goes, it's nothing to write home about. All of the panels are hard to the touch, and I do have a sizable crack in the dashboard. The controls are very easy to get used to, and there is no learning curve at all. The two-tiered glovebox, large center console and storage under the backseat provides plenty of stuff for anything you can think of. The truck is very safe, and I always felt very safe driving it even when there was 6 inches of snow on the road. This truck is pretty bare bones even as the top trim in the technology department, as it lacks bluetooth and any usb or aux ports. The Frontier has been extremely reliable, and there have been no major issues at all. In my 10 mile roundtrip commute in mainly city driving, I'm averaging 11.7 mpg, according to the readout. This is probably the worst part about my truck, as my father's new Ram 1500 averages about 17 mpg with the Hemi V8. Overall, I would recommend the Frontier to anyone who does not care too much about technology and fuel economy.

Great truck, BUT...
By emg8160

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Frontier from an individual via Craigslist with 108k miles. I loved it for the 2 months I could drive it. Then, the tranny went out. Come to find out, this is common and Nissan never issued a recall. I found someone local who would install a re-manufactured tranny and new radiator (included all labor and fluids) for $4,000. I have been waiting for over 2 months to get my truck back because their "parts people" from Chicago had originally gotten the wrong parts number for the tranny and are now waiting for a solenoid so they can complete the rebuild... I am now in the position that (if I ever get the truck back) I have more in it than it's worth so I HAVE to drive it now...

The body style is very cool looking. I arctic white is a great color. The bed hooks can be moved to accommodate for most things I'm hauling. The truck has incredible power/towing capacity for it's size. Although many knock it for it's bland/plastic interior design, I think it's rather sleek and pretty comfortable. The gas mileage is very good too. It's really too bad I had to endure this terrible transmission problem... I was considering another Nissan product for my wife to drive, but now I won't even give it a second thought.

Nissan should have done the right thing and issued a recall on the transmission/ radiator issue when it first became apparent. Instead, they ignored it and many people are paying for it. I will not buy another Nissan product. Period.

Avoid NISSAN!
By cghoffpauir

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed.
We had it towed to the dealership and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00.
We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00.
So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the “defect” and knows exactly what to do to repair it.

However one of the parts needed MUST be ordered from Nissan. So he ordered it, we waited two weeks when it came in it was damaged damaged and couldn’t be used. So the owner of the shop called Nissan and reported the damaged part and was told that a new one would be sent out and when he received the new one to return the damaged one and that we should receive the new one in seven to ten days. That conversation was on 10/3/2012. Last week (10/17/2012) he called to check on the part because he hasn’t received it yet and was told they are on backorder now and they can’t give him a ship date.

He was told that there are 27 on backorder and in that list we are number 10 that it could be seven to ten days or it could be a month. WOW such wonderful customer service! I will never buy another Nissan product and I will make sure that everyone I know or who ever will listen won't buy a Nissan either.

2006 Nissan Frontier
By aolaniesene

2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SE 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a Nissan because we believed in it's superior quality.
We believed that we would have a truck that would easily last us 10 years.
However, after just 4 years - and almost nearing to paying off this truck's loan - we experienced what other forums show is a common manufacturer defect.
At high mileages, Frontiers may experience a break in its radiator, causing coolant to mix in with transmission liquid.
Even though we have been excellent Nissan clients, bringing in our Nissan for regular servicing to ensure it lasts long...we've been hit by this defect.
So, the non-reward for taking care of our truck is having recently paid approx. $6k..

...for a new radiator & transmission. Beware. Favorite features: Used to be our favorite that this was a Nissan. Our hope and trust in the Nissan brand - because of this experience - has diminished significantly.

We recommend that Nissan take a good long hard look at inspecting & testing their vehicles before selling them on the market. Don't sell a vehicle that consumers think will last a long time, but ends up cutting them short. And please don't offer a recall that applies to vehicles that "may experience a radiator crack @ high mileages," but only allow the recall to apply to vehicles of 80,000miles or less. This is very contradictory & completely not in favor of winning return clientele.