Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Happy Nissan Owner
By Miasbuddy

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Nissan and I'll never again buy anything other brand. My truck is sturdy and safe. Handles very well in all types of road & weather conditions. Has plenty of power and I can hold my own on the Interstate with the 18 wheelers. Driver's seat is very comfortable for my bad back. I've had no expenses outside of routine maintenance with any of the 3 Nissans. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Frontier to anyone looking for a reliable pick up truck.

Favorite Features

Handling on icy roads is excellent. Comfortable seats. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I can't ask for any more.

Not too bad
By bosoxer

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first Nissan and although I've had some problems with it, I still really enjoy it. For some reason, my drive train was "falling off," so that was fixed. Had problems with my heating system, which still was completely fixed, and a few little things like an emissions sensor, and windows power unit. I'm a bit nervous about how much has gone wrong in 3 years, as my truck only has 35,000 miles on it, and I do not ride it off- road. The power is tremendous in this truck. It really gets up and moves. The turning radius is horrible. The ride is smooth however. Keeping my fingers crossed on future repairs as my warranty ended this month. Would still recommend this truck.

Favorite Features

Power. Interior. Bed track system.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting parts. Better turning radius.

Not sure
By spiff

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A good solid truck with a lot of promise. I have owned it for 3 years now with nothing major wrong with it. Just a lot of little things. Things like gas cap door spring falling off, door handle cover falling off, ac ducts came loose, rear bumper lights becoming loose, rattling in the exhaust. I have to say it hauls a load well and the bed track system is great.

Favorite Features

The bed track system, power, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Could be put together a little better. More chip resistant paint.

Sportscar with truck bed
By JimInFLA

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 Frontier 2wd used w/ about 10k miles. Traded in an '02 Chevy Avalanche. It was great but the gas was killin' me and we don't need the 4wd in FL. My Fronty has plenty o' power... it's like a sportscar w/a truck bed, I swear! I love the bed's adjustable tiedown system. Not crazy about the roofrack but it does have a sunroof that is nice, although I mostly run the A/C. I'm a lead foot and I can get about 17-19 mpg doing about 75-85 mph on the highway. It's squirrely in the rain b/c it's sort of light in the backend like my old '98 2dr Tahoe. The front seats are uncomfortable on long road trips. They also need to redo the center console so you have an elbow rest.

Favorite Features

Good strong engine. Tiedown system in the bed. A/C runs good. Gas mileage isn't bad for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Need to be heavier in the backend, the rearend can get slippery in the rain. The front seats stink! The lumbar hurts your back afte riding for hours and I feel like they make you sit too close to the windshield, too far forward. They also need to redesign the center console. It's too far back!

Started out amazing, but...
By fronteeer

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've written a few favorable reviews about this truck, but it's had a few major problems and I'm afraid it might become a liability soon, since the b2b warranty's gone and the power train is close. Nissan replaced the entire HVAC unit because it only worked on hot and cold, and they couldn't fix it. I recently had a belt and tensioner changed to get rid of a loud squeak when idling cold. The fuel gauge went nuts and I had to have everything changed from the gauge back. Now there's a loud clunk coming from the drive train when I accelerate while turning, in both 4x2 and 4x4. Sometimes the steering wheel pulls so hard to one side after turning, I have to basically stop and let it go.

Favorite Features

Great looking truck, very powerful, comfortable, sporty handling, configurable seating/cargo space, big wheels and tires, very high quality breathable seat fabric, towing and cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back, better rear seat angle, more resilient paint and galvanized metal to avoid chips and rust, improved reliability. Mine might be worse than others, but if others are using this truck off-road and not breaking it, I'd be very surprised.