Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

LE 4WD
By zechs220

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have about 92k. I love this truck. I have owned it for 4 years. I beat the crap out of this truck. Smashed it twice, and i drive it like i stole it. Never had any problems till recently. Catalytic converter on Drivers side went out on it at 83K just out of emissions warranty. Nissan wanted $1200 i did it myself on the ground for about $250. Now if having some sort of vibration coming from the transmission, almost like the torque converter lockup is not engaging correctly. My Gibson Exhaust rusted through and i ended up puttin a banks exhaust on it. I bought it for the power, boy does this truck move. Ive raced with it and ive run it through the mud. Cant beat a Frontier.

4.0L V6, Rockford Fosgate 10 speaker system, great in the snow, the amount of room there is in the back seat, (im 5-7), the number of o-crap handles in the truck (at least 6), utilitrac system, double bin glove box, 8 cup holders, electrochromatic mirror w/ compass and garage door opener, Roof Rack.

An inch taller bed and 3 inches longer, sportier seats, taller mirriors like the titan, skid plate on all 4x4 models, larger underseat storage bin.

Great truck BUT not so good truck
By oldrunner

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2006 and really liked it until the timing chain guides failed. Found on the internet that this is a common problem. There is also a tech bulletin out on it. But Nissan would not cover the repair. $1400.00 later it is running well again. Check the internet before you buy, there is a wealth of reliability info there.

4.0 liter v6

Extend warranty on timing chain guides.

Biggest mistake of my life
By E

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had high hopes for this truck when I got it. It was my first brand new vehicle. From the very first day I had problems with it. Ranging from a broken steering column to bad tires leaky windshield, brake problems and the list goes on. I have lost countless hours of work going to get it fixed for a bunch of different reasons. My truck currently has 29,000 miles and doesn't work. I've gone through 3 different batteries. The truck turns off while driving or it won't turn on at all. I was getting charged over $1000 to replace abs module but it looks like that isn't the problem or it may be a problem but it seems that it is another problem why it won't turn on.

The power when it works.

Make a truck that works.

Buy one if you can find one!
By Frontier freak

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 04' Frontier and traded in for the '05 2.5L/5-speed - well worth it. Bigger everything and still reliable, expect for some body squeaks. The truck never had any mentionable problems but routine main. & a battery (not counting two wrecks which it took like a champ) and it's still running and hauling 1,000 lbs. well. I think the interior design and ergonomics are great for a king cab, and the bold exterior design sets it apart from the wimpier Tacoma and domestics. Would like to see a more stroked 4 (or inline 5?) base model - the 2.5 L does great for the weight of this sturdy truck, but acceleration and torque are issues. I hope to get the 4.0 next time.

Comfort, styling, nice (but tight) manual transmission, not having to spend time at the dealership to fix little stupid stuff. Plenty of clearance for off road fun; decent mileage for its size (an advantage of the 2.5 L), well laid out engine compartment and controls.

As mentioned, one wonders why you'd keep a 4-cylinder, even this good one, in a truck this size. Strip down the SE 6 and sell it for less. I'm there. Tailgate is clunky and body integrity could be better. Suicide doors are a pain sometimes but you need them. Wide turning radius.

Typical Nissan Truck...
By theironchefchris

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, the truck has impressed the hell outta me. I went with it over the Tacoma which I like a lot as well but the Nissan was black, so I had to get it. The truck is what it is; a tough tank of a truck, nothing you don't need, simple, great design, and super powerful. The price is right and it holds its value well. I'm hoping to keep this thing for a long long time at least until we can get one with a diesel! The paint is a bit weak and does chip behind the doors near the fender flares, but hey it's a truck. Also, mine didn't have keyless entry and i got it from eBay for 7 bucks, so stop complaining people! I use it daily and love this truck, excited to drive it everyday

Interior design is best in class, the engine is amazing and looks really great, super tough exterior, great ride on and off road.

the paint is awful (and mine's black! luckily I'm a detailer), the mpg is bad (but you knew that before you bought it people!)