2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Buy the 2.5L if you can find one for sale.
By unixfreak0037 on 06/12/12 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2005. It's 2012 and it still looks and runs like a brand new truck. With these high gas prices, having a truck that can haul light loads and get 22/23 MPG is really nice. Right now I wouldn't trade it for anything. And these are hard to find. Used 2.5L manual shift XEs are rarely found for sale, probably because the owners recognize their value. Took this 2WD truck on some dirt roads in Tennessee and had no problems at all. Very good truck.

LEMon
By pissedoff9 on 07/21/11 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 06...it was an 05. It has cost me thousands of dollars since then with a number of problems. Fuel sending unit, 02 sencors , Starter, Then ...the first time it needs to be smogged because I;m in Ca. it is 1,970.00. Oh ya ...I had already replaced the radiator because it was leaking radiator fluid into the transmission. I did that myself for around 300.00. Now that I have had it smogged and can drive it to have the transmission checked...I find out the transmission needs to be rebuilt. $2,400 minimum. This thing has cost me almost 6,000 so far and barely has 100,000 miles on it. The dealer and Nissan USA both gave me the bird on every issue. Nissan sux

Great truck BUT not so good truck
By oldrunner on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2006 and really liked it until the timing chain guides failed. Found on the internet that this is a common problem. There is also a tech bulletin out on it. But Nissan would not cover the repair. $1400.00 later it is running well again. Check the internet before you buy, there is a wealth of reliability info there.

Biggest mistake of my life
By E on 07/10/10 20:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had high hopes for this truck when I got it. It was my first brand new vehicle. From the very first day I had problems with it. Ranging from a broken steering column to bad tires leaky windshield, brake problems and the list goes on. I have lost countless hours of work going to get it fixed for a bunch of different reasons. My truck currently has 29,000 miles and doesn't work. I've gone through 3 different batteries. The truck turns off while driving or it won't turn on at all. I was getting charged over $1000 to replace abs module but it looks like that isn't the problem or it may be a problem but it seems that it is another problem why it won't turn on.

Buy one if you can find one!
By Frontier freak on 06/26/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 04' Frontier and traded in for the '05 2.5L/5-speed - well worth it. Bigger everything and still reliable, expect for some body squeaks. The truck never had any mentionable problems but routine main. & a battery (not counting two wrecks which it took like a champ) and it's still running and hauling 1,000 lbs. well. I think the interior design and ergonomics are great for a king cab, and the bold exterior design sets it apart from the wimpier Tacoma and domestics. Would like to see a more stroked 4 (or inline 5?) base model - the 2.5 L does great for the weight of this sturdy truck, but acceleration and torque are issues. I hope to get the 4.0 next time.

Typical Nissan Truck...
By theironchefchris on 05/09/10 21:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, the truck has impressed the hell outta me. I went with it over the Tacoma which I like a lot as well but the Nissan was black, so I had to get it. The truck is what it is; a tough tank of a truck, nothing you don't need, simple, great design, and super powerful. The price is right and it holds its value well. I'm hoping to keep this thing for a long long time at least until we can get one with a diesel! The paint is a bit weak and does chip behind the doors near the fender flares, but hey it's a truck. Also, mine didn't have keyless entry and i got it from eBay for 7 bucks, so stop complaining people! I use it daily and love this truck, excited to drive it everyday

Indestructable Nissan
By chappyk on 02/08/10 19:49 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 92 Nissan Pickup that was great, so I purchased this one. I have not been disappointed. This truck is rugged and looks aggressive. The previous owner equipped it with more aggressive tires which killed the ride, but gave it much more traction. The interior is rugged too. Hard plastic may not be elegant, but it wears well anf fits the character of the truck. The bedliner is bulletproof and the Utili-track system is ingenious. The truck was inexpensive and a great value. I haven't been able to use the rear locking axle because I haven't been able to get this 2WD stuck. Amazing.

Nissan won't back their product
By mikey on 02/03/10 18:18 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab LE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck used with 15K and it now has 53K. For relatively few miles there has been some real issues! -Constant squeaks in the suspension will never be corrected. -I had the common fuel sending unit go out at 49K miles. It should have been covered under the 60K 5 yr warranty but they denied the coverage and I am currently fighting with them -The paint quality is terrible. With little research I was able to find I am not the only one that has paint just randomly start bubbling and peeling with no chip or scratch even starting it! Nissan consumer affairs is totally unprofessional and untimely to be in coherts with. Very disappointing they can't stand behind their product.

My Nissan Stinks!!!
By kram1972 on 01/13/10 04:49 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck new off of the lot. Ran great for about 55k mi then hell broke loose. blower resistor blew ($150), then blower blew ($500), then at 45k mi a ujoints went and another at 59.5k mi. a week later PW on driverside blew, then last week with 64.5k mi i was informed that the motor needs to be replaced but guess what, 6yr-60k mile warranty is over and they won't touch it. oh, the timing chain is stretched to maximum limit and needs to be replaced and amazingly my oil pressure gauge hasn't moved since I bought the truck but i was 2 quarts low when I just had it serviced by Nissan. NEVER NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN!!!!

Piece of Junk - Never again
By toyman15 on 01/08/10 19:15 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I thought I'd save a few thousand by buying a NISSAN over a TOYOTA, and thought the Nissan would be reliable like the Toyota. No way. First 30k miles the fuel sender went. $400. Then the windshield washer tank sprung a leak. Now, at 80K miles the transmission went, cause the trans cooler in the radiator cracked, allowing a transfer of fluids between cooling system & trans. $4500. Not to mention missed work, time wasted, etc.