Used 2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Buy the 2.5L if you can find one for sale.
By unixfreak0037

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2005. It's 2012 and it still looks and runs like a brand new truck. With these high gas prices, having a truck that can haul light loads and get 22/23 MPG is really nice. Right now I wouldn't trade it for anything. And these are hard to find. Used 2.5L manual shift XEs are rarely found for sale, probably because the owners recognize their value. Took this 2WD truck on some dirt roads in Tennessee and had no problems at all. Very good truck.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, handling and reliability. Spray in bedliner is amazing. Great paint job (very few rust spots 7 years later in a temperate climate.)

Suggested Improvements

Higher torque. Horsepower is OK but it needs more torque in 1st gear.

LEMon
By pissedoff9

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 06...it was an 05. It has cost me thousands of dollars since then with a number of problems. Fuel sending unit, 02 sencors , Starter, Then ...the first time it needs to be smogged because I;m in Ca. it is 1,970.00. Oh ya ...I had already replaced the radiator because it was leaking radiator fluid into the transmission. I did that myself for around 300.00. Now that I have had it smogged and can drive it to have the transmission checked...I find out the transmission needs to be rebuilt. $2,400 minimum. This thing has cost me almost 6,000 so far and barely has 100,000 miles on it. The dealer and Nissan USA both gave me the bird on every issue. Nissan sux

Favorite Features

nothing makes up for all the problems and poor fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should be able to make a vehicle that will go at least 150.000 miles without major problems. Nissan should stand behind their vehicles and recall the problems instead of trying to do the minimum. Shame on Nissan USA.

Great truck BUT not so good truck
By oldrunner

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2006 and really liked it until the timing chain guides failed. Found on the internet that this is a common problem. There is also a tech bulletin out on it. But Nissan would not cover the repair. $1400.00 later it is running well again. Check the internet before you buy, there is a wealth of reliability info there.

Favorite Features

4.0 liter v6

Suggested Improvements

Extend warranty on timing chain guides.

Biggest mistake of my life
By E

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had high hopes for this truck when I got it. It was my first brand new vehicle. From the very first day I had problems with it. Ranging from a broken steering column to bad tires leaky windshield, brake problems and the list goes on. I have lost countless hours of work going to get it fixed for a bunch of different reasons. My truck currently has 29,000 miles and doesn't work. I've gone through 3 different batteries. The truck turns off while driving or it won't turn on at all. I was getting charged over $1000 to replace abs module but it looks like that isn't the problem or it may be a problem but it seems that it is another problem why it won't turn on.

Favorite Features

The power when it works.

Suggested Improvements

Make a truck that works.

Buy one if you can find one!
By Frontier freak

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 04' Frontier and traded in for the '05 2.5L/5-speed - well worth it. Bigger everything and still reliable, expect for some body squeaks. The truck never had any mentionable problems but routine main. & a battery (not counting two wrecks which it took like a champ) and it's still running and hauling 1,000 lbs. well. I think the interior design and ergonomics are great for a king cab, and the bold exterior design sets it apart from the wimpier Tacoma and domestics. Would like to see a more stroked 4 (or inline 5?) base model - the 2.5 L does great for the weight of this sturdy truck, but acceleration and torque are issues. I hope to get the 4.0 next time.

Favorite Features

Comfort, styling, nice (but tight) manual transmission, not having to spend time at the dealership to fix little stupid stuff. Plenty of clearance for off road fun; decent mileage for its size (an advantage of the 2.5 L), well laid out engine compartment and controls.

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned, one wonders why you'd keep a 4-cylinder, even this good one, in a truck this size. Strip down the SE 6 and sell it for less. I'm there. Tailgate is clunky and body integrity could be better. Suicide doors are a pain sometimes but you need them. Wide turning radius.