2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
LE 4WD
By zechs220 on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have about 92k. I love this truck. I have owned it for 4 years. I beat the crap out of this truck. Smashed it twice, and i drive it like i stole it. Never had any problems till recently. Catalytic converter on Drivers side went out on it at 83K just out of emissions warranty. Nissan wanted $1200 i did it myself on the ground for about $250. Now if having some sort of vibration coming from the transmission, almost like the torque converter lockup is not engaging correctly. My Gibson Exhaust rusted through and i ended up puttin a banks exhaust on it. I bought it for the power, boy does this truck move. Ive raced with it and ive run it through the mud. Cant beat a Frontier.

Love it!!! 100+ mi and still kicking!
By Jason on 03/22/10 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Silverado with the 5.3L V8 a couple vehicles before this one. This is just as powerful, if not more, with the 4.0 V6. I live near the city so I wanted something a little more agile but still had plenty of muscle for all my excursions. This truck does perfect. 4WD makes it a billy goat. LOVE THE NISMO! You really don't have to do anything to this truck when you have that package...except maybe a bigger tire. By the way, 285 BFG AT's fit perfect with no modifications or rubbing. The interior design is perfect. Controls seem to be built for men (easy and straight forward). Opt for the Rockford sound system if possible. 6-Disc CD Changer is pretty convenient.

bullet resistant
By dorfsmurfal on 02/20/10 09:11 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought news. was over $9000 less than the base Tundra. Has 4L six, massive power lousey gas mileage. Just towed a steel two horse trailer with two horses up 15% grade to yosimite pulled like a champ. Only mechanical issues is rear end went out under warranty and fuel sensor. Factory replaced with no issue. Nissan has way cooler looks than Toyota and a better overall value than Toyota. Some interior noise and squeaks. But I off road. I just changed the facotry tires and brakes at 78,000 miles. Every time I go to the dealer they try to buy it from me. Ran the sand dunes at Pismo fine people couldn't believe the power or abilities. Did I mention no accelorator problems? GO NISSAN!

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab RWD SE MT
By BigTaka on 01/18/10 13:40 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my used truck 4 years ago for work with 15K miles already on it. I have put 60K additional miles on and have had no mechanical issues. I do get a chirping sound from the air vents after I turn the ignition off and the dealership can't figure out the issue. I've only changed the belts, done regular maintenance and am due to have the breaks changed for the first time. The gas mileage is less than desirable as I average 18-19mpg whether I am in the city or driving long distances on the highway. The rear seat is not the most comfortable as it sits straight up and does not offer much leg room. The power is decent and it has functioned fine when towing.

Chinese Firedrill
By fpkarau on 07/05/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a company vehicle used extensively offroad. Performs well off road. It comes without skid plate and managed to tear oil pan off first 2 months we had it going through a mud hole on a construction site that every other rig on the mountain traversed without incident. Aluminum rim destroyed first month and needed to replace all stock tires as well as they are junk. Most irritating thing about this unit is that is has no keyless entry yet only one key tumbler in drivers side door only. Result is that if you want to enter vehicle from passenger side you have to do a "Chinese firedrill" around the truck to open unit from driver's side door and return to passenger side. Moronic design.

Wouldn't trade it for anything else
By fronteeer on 05/20/09 05:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm so glad I bought this truck. I'm the kind of guy who trades vehicles every few years, but the Frontier will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. During the second year I was concerned about its quality because of a few manufacturing defects that showed up, but Nissan handled them with impeccable professionalism and I haven't had any problems since. It is the first year of this new model, so some issues are to be expected. That aside, the reliability and capability of this truck has been nothing short of outstanding. I have an old Honda that I drive when I'm not towing or hauling, so the fuel economy isn't a major issue for me. When I need the power, it's there, no compromises.

Be very careful!
By Bad Truck on 09/10/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Nismo Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is a huge headache. I've had an enormous amount of trouble with it. Most of my problems were cosmetic related including a roof leak that Nissan can't seem to fix. Had the seal replaced three times and the windshield replaced once and it still leaks. Along with that the brake master cyl went out at 500 miles, bumper has been replaced twice, belt tensioner has been replaced three times, Window control module needs to be replaced, the timing belt system had to be replaced due to a technical service bulletin (only covered if the vehicle is under warranty). Do yourself a favor and buy a Toyota or Honda. I made the mistake of buying a Nissan because it was less money, bad move!

Happy Nissan Owner
By Miasbuddy on 08/12/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Nissan and I'll never again buy anything other brand. My truck is sturdy and safe. Handles very well in all types of road & weather conditions. Has plenty of power and I can hold my own on the Interstate with the 18 wheelers. Driver's seat is very comfortable for my bad back. I've had no expenses outside of routine maintenance with any of the 3 Nissans. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Frontier to anyone looking for a reliable pick up truck.

Sportscar with truck bed
By JimInFLA on 04/01/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 Frontier 2wd used w/ about 10k miles. Traded in an '02 Chevy Avalanche. It was great but the gas was killin' me and we don't need the 4wd in FL. My Fronty has plenty o' power... it's like a sportscar w/a truck bed, I swear! I love the bed's adjustable tiedown system. Not crazy about the roofrack but it does have a sunroof that is nice, although I mostly run the A/C. I'm a lead foot and I can get about 17-19 mpg doing about 75-85 mph on the highway. It's squirrely in the rain b/c it's sort of light in the backend like my old '98 2dr Tahoe. The front seats are uncomfortable on long road trips. They also need to redo the center console so you have an elbow rest.

Started out amazing, but...
By fronteeer on 03/22/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've written a few favorable reviews about this truck, but it's had a few major problems and I'm afraid it might become a liability soon, since the b2b warranty's gone and the power train is close. Nissan replaced the entire HVAC unit because it only worked on hot and cold, and they couldn't fix it. I recently had a belt and tensioner changed to get rid of a loud squeak when idling cold. The fuel gauge went nuts and I had to have everything changed from the gauge back. Now there's a loud clunk coming from the drive train when I accelerate while turning, in both 4x2 and 4x4. Sometimes the steering wheel pulls so hard to one side after turning, I have to basically stop and let it go.