Used 2005 Nissan Frontier XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Buy the 2.5L if you can find one for sale.
By unixfreak0037

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2005. It's 2012 and it still looks and runs like a brand new truck. With these high gas prices, having a truck that can haul light loads and get 22/23 MPG is really nice. Right now I wouldn't trade it for anything. And these are hard to find. Used 2.5L manual shift XEs are rarely found for sale, probably because the owners recognize their value. Took this 2WD truck on some dirt roads in Tennessee and had no problems at all. Very good truck.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, handling and reliability. Spray in bedliner is amazing. Great paint job (very few rust spots 7 years later in a temperate climate.)

Suggested Improvements

Higher torque. Horsepower is OK but it needs more torque in 1st gear.

Buy one if you can find one!
By Frontier freak

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 04' Frontier and traded in for the '05 2.5L/5-speed - well worth it. Bigger everything and still reliable, expect for some body squeaks. The truck never had any mentionable problems but routine main. & a battery (not counting two wrecks which it took like a champ) and it's still running and hauling 1,000 lbs. well. I think the interior design and ergonomics are great for a king cab, and the bold exterior design sets it apart from the wimpier Tacoma and domestics. Would like to see a more stroked 4 (or inline 5?) base model - the 2.5 L does great for the weight of this sturdy truck, but acceleration and torque are issues. I hope to get the 4.0 next time.

Favorite Features

Comfort, styling, nice (but tight) manual transmission, not having to spend time at the dealership to fix little stupid stuff. Plenty of clearance for off road fun; decent mileage for its size (an advantage of the 2.5 L), well laid out engine compartment and controls.

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned, one wonders why you'd keep a 4-cylinder, even this good one, in a truck this size. Strip down the SE 6 and sell it for less. I'm there. Tailgate is clunky and body integrity could be better. Suicide doors are a pain sometimes but you need them. Wide turning radius.

2nd Frontier
By 808blue

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second frontier. Loved it, great MPG , good power for a 4 banger. Only really dumb move on Nissan's part is even offering a truck without AC. I bought the truck second hand for a great deal, and other than having no AC whatsoever, the truck was awesome.

Favorite Features

front seats very comfy, great MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Include AC as a standard option

Disappointed in Nissan
By LK Texas

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Nissan pickup (80,82,05). Of the three I am really disappointed in the quality of the vehicle. I ONLY have 26,000 miles on it and already the exhaust manifold requires replacement (TSB was not sent to me), my fuel gauge sending unit is shot, and the wiper reservoir cracked. I will end up doing all the repairs as I will not pay for dealership service. Only good thing is I put on a Gibson performance exhaust, a custom CAI with a AMSOIL intake filter, replaced ALL fluids with AMSOIL and I am now getting 25 city and 33 highway. If nothing else goes out I will keep it. Otherwise, I will consider another manufacturer.

Favorite Features

Increased interior room, suicide door design, more H.P. in the engine than earlier models.

Suggested Improvements

Better communication between Nissan and owners on TSB's and faulty parts. Hire better procurement and quality people!!

2005 Nissan Frontier XE
By Joe

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very nice truck to own. Very sharp looking truck. All my friends like the look of it and how it rides. Only problems I notice are: (1) your legs come close to hitting the lower dash; (2) truck horn is very wimpy and truck should have two horn buttons at each edge of steering wheel, not just one in center that is hard to use; (3) don't plan on getting any custom wheels for it because the 6 X 114.3 lug pattern is not standard size - there are very few makers of custom rims that will fit on the truck, very few custom rims will fit; (4) interior should have two dome lights, one near front of cab and other near the back of cab.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and the seats make it comfortable to ride in.