Used 2005 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Buy the 2.5L if you can find one for sale.
By unixfreak0037

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new in 2005. It's 2012 and it still looks and runs like a brand new truck. With these high gas prices, having a truck that can haul light loads and get 22/23 MPG is really nice. Right now I wouldn't trade it for anything. And these are hard to find. Used 2.5L manual shift XEs are rarely found for sale, probably because the owners recognize their value. Took this 2WD truck on some dirt roads in Tennessee and had no problems at all. Very good truck.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, handling and reliability. Spray in bedliner is amazing. Great paint job (very few rust spots 7 years later in a temperate climate.)

Suggested Improvements

Higher torque. Horsepower is OK but it needs more torque in 1st gear.

LEMon
By pissedoff9

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 06...it was an 05. It has cost me thousands of dollars since then with a number of problems. Fuel sending unit, 02 sencors , Starter, Then ...the first time it needs to be smogged because I;m in Ca. it is 1,970.00. Oh ya ...I had already replaced the radiator because it was leaking radiator fluid into the transmission. I did that myself for around 300.00. Now that I have had it smogged and can drive it to have the transmission checked...I find out the transmission needs to be rebuilt. $2,400 minimum. This thing has cost me almost 6,000 so far and barely has 100,000 miles on it. The dealer and Nissan USA both gave me the bird on every issue. Nissan sux

Favorite Features

nothing makes up for all the problems and poor fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should be able to make a vehicle that will go at least 150.000 miles without major problems. Nissan should stand behind their vehicles and recall the problems instead of trying to do the minimum. Shame on Nissan USA.

LE 4WD
By zechs220

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab LE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have about 92k. I love this truck. I have owned it for 4 years. I beat the crap out of this truck. Smashed it twice, and i drive it like i stole it. Never had any problems till recently. Catalytic converter on Drivers side went out on it at 83K just out of emissions warranty. Nissan wanted $1200 i did it myself on the ground for about $250. Now if having some sort of vibration coming from the transmission, almost like the torque converter lockup is not engaging correctly. My Gibson Exhaust rusted through and i ended up puttin a banks exhaust on it. I bought it for the power, boy does this truck move. Ive raced with it and ive run it through the mud. Cant beat a Frontier.

Favorite Features

4.0L V6, Rockford Fosgate 10 speaker system, great in the snow, the amount of room there is in the back seat, (im 5-7), the number of o-crap handles in the truck (at least 6), utilitrac system, double bin glove box, 8 cup holders, electrochromatic mirror w/ compass and garage door opener, Roof Rack.

Suggested Improvements

An inch taller bed and 3 inches longer, sportier seats, taller mirriors like the titan, skid plate on all 4x4 models, larger underseat storage bin.

Great truck BUT not so good truck
By oldrunner

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab Nismo 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2006 and really liked it until the timing chain guides failed. Found on the internet that this is a common problem. There is also a tech bulletin out on it. But Nissan would not cover the repair. $1400.00 later it is running well again. Check the internet before you buy, there is a wealth of reliability info there.

Favorite Features

4.0 liter v6

Suggested Improvements

Extend warranty on timing chain guides.

Biggest mistake of my life
By E

2005 Nissan Frontier 4dr King Cab SE Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had high hopes for this truck when I got it. It was my first brand new vehicle. From the very first day I had problems with it. Ranging from a broken steering column to bad tires leaky windshield, brake problems and the list goes on. I have lost countless hours of work going to get it fixed for a bunch of different reasons. My truck currently has 29,000 miles and doesn't work. I've gone through 3 different batteries. The truck turns off while driving or it won't turn on at all. I was getting charged over $1000 to replace abs module but it looks like that isn't the problem or it may be a problem but it seems that it is another problem why it won't turn on.

Favorite Features

The power when it works.

Suggested Improvements

Make a truck that works.